Setting my polar scope - which one is transit time?

Hi all,

I'm setting up my polar scope according to this AstroBaby article http://www.astro-baby.com/HEQ5/HEQ5-2.htm

It says "How do you know what time and date to use as a transit ?
To find out what time and date Polaris is in transit you will need either a star catalogue/almanac OR a quick way is to use a program called PolarFinder. Using PolarFinder you can find a time for transits at your location and simply set up the polar scope circles on your mount for your own time and date. Remember to compensate for Summer Time or Daylight Saving Time and use GMT only if your in the UK."

I am confused as to what I should be setting for the time on my polar scope. On my app it shows a 'Local Hour Angle' figure which right now is 03:36, but obviously our real time is 12:03. Which of the two should I be turning my scope settings to reflect? I am unsure which one represents transit time ...

EDIT: On my app I also have HA and Previous and Next times if these are relevant. HA = Hour Angle? How is this different to Local Hour Angle?

Thanks,
Gary

• 2 weeks later...

Archived