SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Observing from Gedling Country Park

SteveNickolls

Having been to the park a number of times now in the daytime on reconnaissance it seems a potentially good location to try as an observing and imaging location. High up in relation to all surrounding ground with an uninterupted 360 degrees FOV and views right down to the horizon to the East and South. There’s the light pollution of course principally in the direction of Nottingham but certainly worth a try when the night’s get darker earlier.

I’d be interested finding out if anyone who is also local would be willing to ‘give it a go’ observing/imaging from there in the autumn. I’m also willing to contact the local council and the Friends of Gedling Country Park to see if any arrangements could be made on site (there’s plans to build a visitor centre in the future).

Please drop me a PM if you are interested.

Cheers,
Steve

http://www.gedling.gov.uk/leisure/parksopenspaces/gedlingcountrypark/

I'm at Strelley and have mulled this spot over as a potential quad flying spot. As of yet, I've not got over to have a look about, but, safety in numbers and I think it could be fun for a little astro get together. It'd be nice to have somewhere closer to home :)

Hiya banners,

Thanks a lot for your reply :-) The park is outside of the Nottingham light dome and has very good views especially to the East and South horizons below it. There's a particular spot there where there's no direct light whatsoever visible in any direction. It should be darker than the suburbs close by. Next time I go up in the daytime I'll take some photos of the outlook and post on here. The main considerations I envisage there are (1) parking locally as they discourage folks (undesirables) parking up on site at night and there's trouble parking on the narrow roads nearby. (2) Carrying equipment to the location. (3) Security-this would be offset if enough of us were to go up. When the nights draw in I'll do a night time visit one Moonless night and try and estimate the limiting magnitude value from there.

Thanks again for your reply, I'll post here to keep everyone informed.

Cheers,
Steve

Archived