Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Star Tools Problem

Good evening everybody,

i have a problem with star tools. First I run Deep Sky Stacker against a database of thirty best out of one hundred and ten pictures and put the result into Startools ... everything works more or less fine. Then i use exactly the same lightframe stack but 80 out of one hundred and ten and put the result again into Star tools... the result is horrible... the data looks as if clipped with almost inverted colors...what could be the problem?

Hi, it may be due to the part processing done in Deep Sky Stacker but actually I don't think that this is the proper forum for your question. I have Startools and also have had a couple of problems. I usually send an email to the Startools forum and get a reply within 24 hrs. Startools is pretty good but, just sometimes, it throws a wobbly!!! You could also try following one of the tutorials on you tube and when things start to get bad try adjusting the levels at the bottom of the screen. Hope you find an answer.

Phil

Maybe you have a bad light frame in that stack that is throwing things out?  Did you preview them all before stacking?

Is there a reason that you discard so many light frames?

19 hours ago, uhb1966 said:

First I run Deep Sky Stacker against a database of thirty best out of one hundred and ten pictures and put the result into Startools ... everything works more or less fine. 

Hi,

But if you put poor frames into ST you will pay the consequences in terms of difficulty using some modules and the final image I'm afraid.

Cheers,
Steve

Make sure that the box in DSS that says "save changes but do not embed them" is checked, it will come up at the end of the stacking procedure, if not it will alter your data, and you don't want that, you need all the origonal data there for any other processing.

Bill

Hi read this thread i had on startools there is a few tips among the posts ,dss settings need tweaked first http://www.startools.org/modules/introduction/quick-start , make sure you crop your image though as you will have trouble processing in ST , and when st opens image choose bottom left button linear was not bayered as dss does mess with data during processing ivo the developer told me that though he highly recommends pixinsight for stacking 

2 hours ago, bottletopburly said:

"...choose bottom left button linear was not bayered as dss does mess with data during processing ivo the developer told me that ..."

Hi bottletopburly, that makes very interesting reading coming as it did from Ivo himself. We've known for a while that DSS 'does things' to data but this just adds to the list :-)

Cheers,
Steve

5 hours ago, SteveNickolls said:

5 hours ago, SteveNickolls said:

Hi bottletopburly, that makes very interesting reading coming as it did from Ivo himself. We've known for a while that DSS 'does things' to data but this just adds to the list :-)

Cheers,
Steve

steve heres a link to a post ivo says about PI and its stacking ,ivo talks highly of its stacking http://forum.startools.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=447&p=1455&hilit=pixinsight#p1455

Archived