Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

UCAC4 and Cartes du Ciel

teleskopjo

Good afternoon

Would like to ask whether it'd be possible to download only the positional data for a UCAC4 installation in Cartes du Ciel.

Ie. I do not need to have all the proper motion data or photometric filters other than from V band.

That should reduce the size of it I hope.

thanks!

Thanks - I notice the CdC versions are extractions in themselves of the general UCAC4.

ucac4-catalog-v2-south.zip : South zone -90 to -30

ucac4-catalog-v2-equator.zip : Equatorial zone -30 to +22.5

ucac4-catalog-v2-north.zip : North zone +22.5 to +90

A fourth file ucac4-index-v2.zip contain the optional search index for all the zones.

3 questions:

- what is the use of the search index? Is it only to enable CdC find a star given its UCAC name (ex. UCAC4-303-223417) ?

- say I want to have stars from +22.5 to +50, is there any possibility of identifying and deleting the +50 to +90 files after downloading the north catalog?

- is it possible to eliminate the fainter stars, say I want only a limit of mag. 14.  I know you can turn this up in CdC itself but my aim is to reduce the downloaded file size.

thanks!

Sorry for the delay in replying. I'm traveling with limited internet access.

1 Yes. CdC uses this to locate a search and show the star.

2. I'd say yes, after download you can identify and remove nominated zones.

3 Not that I know. The usual method is to adjust the CdC settings.

HTH

Archived