Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tiny1

D4N

I've not seen any discussions regarding this camera yet so thought I had better start one.

It seems that the developers are trying to make basic imaging a lot easier by building a camera that incorporates basic image processing and noise reduction as well as a planetarium so beginners can actually find things.

It looks like it will be quite capable for planetary and wide field depending on what lens you use and the price is less than I would expect an Astro modded DSLR to cost so I would expect this to do quite well if they get into production and can get retailers on board.

Their website is here: www.tinymos.com

1 hour ago, D4N said:

I've not seen any discussions regarding this camera yet so thought I had better start one.

It seems that the developers are trying to make basic imaging a lot easier by building a camera that incorporates basic image processing and noise reduction as well as a planetarium so beginners can actually find things.

It looks like it will be quite capable for planetary and wide field depending on what lens you use and the price is less than I would expect an Astro modded DSLR to cost so I would expect this to do quite well if they get into production and can get retailers on board.

Their website is here: www.tinymos.com

I don't know if this is just because I'm using my mobile but that link brings me to this thread

There was some discussion on CN forums. It's not a direct DSLR replacement. It's equipped with a Omnivision CMOS sensors with extremely small pixels so at f/4-5 you already reach max telescope resolution - planetary imaging. Lenses with short focal lengths are the only thing that will work for DS imaging - widefield/EAA.

Looking on the discussions people do tend to agree that it will increase the size of astro community but for people already in EAA or even astrophotography it won't be very useful. It's not that cheap, has usage limitations, and a lot of Tiny1 features depends on high quality software and mobile apps - and that must be delivered.

Thanks, I hadn't seen the CN thread.

I think even if it has 2um pixels this shouldn't be a problem if it is used with either short focal length lenses or for planetary imaging.

I guess you can always bin if you are really set on using it at a longer focal length.

Certainly if it kicks off well it will be great for the community as the simplicity will lessen the cliff like learning curve that is Astro imaging and allow a lot more people to get into it without getting stuck at the first hurdle.

Personally I like the portability of it, I love my CCD to bits but I would never lug it and all the rest of my imaging kit around when I travel.  Something simple like this I would as I already take a tripod for my bins.

Archived