Buying second hand tips?

Hi all,

If buying second hand, what should we check when we go to see it? As someone who hasn't had a telescope before, I wouldn't know what to ask about or look at to check it's in good condition. It would be an 8" Reflector on an HEQ5 PRO mount.

Also bearing in mind I won't know how to use a focuser or know if it's collimated or not that is causing an issue or if its something else etc.

Thanks,
Gary

Hi Gary,

That is a serious piece of kit you are planning to buy as a first scope!

It is going to be very difficult for people to explain to you what to look for in a way that will be useful to you. Can you please let us know where you are as it might be a better idea for you to go along to a local astronomy group to see some kit and let the owners/members demonstrate to you how it all works?

Derek

Hi Gary, you could do no worse than spend just a little time on the forum reading up about the items that concern you, there's plenty of help and advice from well qualified members. The more you read while waiting to purchase the more you will feel confident. It will not be time wasted I assure you.If you have the patience to wait awhile, once you've posted a number of posts on the forum it will get you into the for sale area where generally because the sales are being sold by members the kit tends to be in very good condition and well looked after. This is the route I took and to date I have had no regrets in buying from the forum. Best of luck and let us all,know how you get on.

Garry (two R's)

8 minutes ago, DRT said:

Hi Gary,

That is a serious piece of kit you are planning to buy as a first scope!

It is going to be very difficult for people to explain to you what to look for in a way that will be useful to you. Can you please let us know where you are as it might be a better idea for you to go along to a local astronomy group to see some kit and let the owners/members demonstrate to you how it all works?

Derek

Hello,

I am going to see the item in an hour, so I was hoping for any sort of indication of things that would be detrimental to the functioning of it all that I should look out for. Not much time unfortunately.

Thanks,
Gary

Gary,

Needs must so here goes:

1. The reflector should be easy enough to check out. Look for signs of physical damage. If it looks nice and clean with no bumps and scratches it has probably been well cared for. Check the mirrors for any sign of chips, scratches or mould. Dust is ok as it can be cleaned but scratches, chips and mould can't be cleaned away and will affect the performance. Mould would be the worse of these as it destroys the optical coatings.

2. Check that the focuser has a smooth and easy action when you move it in and out. If it is sticky or tight it will affect your ability to reach fine focus. Also make sure that the focus tube (the bit that moves in and out) doesn't flop around too much when extended. The focuser should hold the tube straight regardless of whether or not it is in or out.

3. Ask for a demonstration of the set-up and GOTO features of the mount. You will not be able to check how well it tracks or finds objects unless it is dark but the seller should be able to at least demonstrate that the handset works.

4. Look out for any damage to the tripod or mount. Again, if they look good with no bumps and scrapes they have probably been looked after.

Good luck!

Thanks guys. Regarding the above issues like mould, chips or anything else, is it best to just leave it completely if these things are present? I am unsure what is involved price wise to fix any of those issues. I'm right at my budget, so I guess anything needing fixed would make it a non-starter.

Hello Gary and welcome to SGL. This is a difficult one as you do seem in a rush. The advice already given by DRT and Sirus is good advice. I can give general advice but really you need a bit more knowledge. I would check the tube of scope to see knocks and dents(indication if scope has been looked after). I would check mirrors to see clean and undamaged. I would check focuser works, in, out movement smooth and positive movement. Finally if everything looks ok then I would ask the chap if he can possibly set the scope up and if you can have a look one evening at a target like the moon (proof in the pudding is in the eating) and put a few different magnification eyepieces in the scope and make sure you are getting and clear good view of the moon or your chosen target and the mount tracks the target.

Really you need more knowledge on scopes but hopefully the above will give you some basic checks to help you.  

1 minute ago, Putaendo Patrick said:

Ask why the person is selling it! If he (or she) is an astronomer upgrading to a better scope, there is a strong possibility that it will have been well maintained. If, however, you get the intuition that thing don't quite add up, be very suspicious.

Apparently selling due to health reasons. Perhaps an older person who can't move the item as easily anymore. I know this is a heavy item and mount. Will keep an eye on it.

Actually, the Moon is up now so you could ask him to align and point at that provided there are no clouds?

On your question of scratches, chips, mould etc - yes, leave it alone if these things are present as you have no way of knowing whether or not they will be an issue. You should also consider how confident you are that you can re-sell the scope in future when you decide to upgrade.

Out of interest - what is the asking price?

3 minutes ago, tehmac said:

I presume any dents on the inside and outside of the OTA (if I'm told it was by accident one time) will affect the working of the scopes optics?

No, it would need to be a huge dent to get in the way of the light path, it's mainly just aesthetics plus if there are lots of dents and scratches you know the scope hasn't been treated with care. The mirror is the main thing to look at, collimation, stiff focusers etc can be fixed and fettled :) 

If it's at all tatty and the price is 60% of new or more then I'd leave it. Usually scopes are looked after but you do come across neglected or abused ones from time to time and it's not as if this is a rare item.

It's very often comes down to judging the seller. Some background details in eBay pictures just scream "no ". AB&S is often a better resource. There are bargains out there, but it's buyer beware. If you're not sure, just walk.

Nick.

I just bought http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=114726 for £700. Considering I had just ordered a 130PDS with EQ3 PRO yesterday from FLO for £650 with minimal accessories and 1 eyepiece that came with it, I think I got a bargain. Unit looked clean, couple of scuffs on the mount where there is general use from the OTA sitting in it (I presumed this was normal), a couple of minor scuffs elsewhere on the mount, but nothing to be worried about. Mirror looked like maybe some dust but nothing to be worried about. Focuser moves smoothly and is secure. Will need to give everything a good clean tomorrow.

The guy was great and a genuine lover of the field of astronomy having been doing it since he was 8. He purchased this item 3 years ago and is downsizing to a refractor for health reasons (+ this thing is heavy!). I think I got a good deal. It came with all the mentioned items + even a whole lot of filters I didn't expect. What do you think?

That looks to be in good nick and at 70% of the new price for just the scope and mount you've got a reasonable price. The extra bits are a nice bonus :smile:

Good luck with the new hobby and the new scope :smile:

Sky-watcher explorer 200PDS Telescope
Heq 5 Pro mount.
StarShoot solar system color imager IV
Laser Collimator
2x Achro Barlow
Astro Engineering 4x image mate
Revelation Astro eyepiece project camera adapter
15mm eye piece
28mm eye piece
38mm 2" eye piece with FOV 70 degrees
2" eye piece adapter

Congratulations - looks like a pretty sweet deal to me. ABS are generally a pretty good source of second hand equipment. Of course you have doomed UK astronomers to at least six months of heavy cloud :hiding:

Archived