sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

I'm a little bit excited that i have finally pressed buy on a new ATIK 414 EX, filter wheel and set of LRGB filters and i'd like some advice as to exposures please. I'm going to try M51 initially as its an easy target for me from my luckyily very dark back garden here in Cyprus - how long should i be aiming for in each colour and how many exposure? Is it like working with the DSLR, as many as i can get for a long as i can without becoming saturated, over several nights or is there a different approach due to the increased sensitivity?

Thanks guys,

Steve

• Like 1

M51 is quite bright, 10min is good if your mount can track for that long. Concentrate on the Lum channel to start with, collect at least 10 subs. You could likely get away with half that number for the RGB channels.

No doubt you'll get as many opinions as there are possibilites on this question but that is what I find works...

ChrisH

• Like 2

I'm no expert, but the only thing I would add is that quite a few people choose to 'bin' the RGC subs so that you can use shorter exposures, while retaining the detail from the L channel. Of course, clear skies in Cyprus might not be at such a premium as they are in the UK!

• Like 2

Congratulations,

Blessed with a dark site,

you can try various approach to get familiar with your Camera. Atik 400 series 

are all quiet senstive in my experience.

One oft the shortest , binned, resolution not so great.

RGB 180s X bin 3 @ 3 frames

L 600 s 1x1 @ 6 frames.

A bit longer and  unbinned, Resolution far better.

RGB 600s,400s,500s @5 to 6 frames each unbinned

LRGB: Add 12  or 18 Lumi frames if the time permitts and RGB remains the same.

Since you cant specify individual frame counts in Artemis, you will have to repeat L channel twice or thrice.

If you dither at least 3 pixels on the guiding cam, Probably you can get away without Cali frames.

Have fun J

CS

Rush

• Like 1

Cyprus? I'm jealous! :D

Yup, as has been said, concentrate on the lum. I did 8 x 8 mins on this one of mine. Plus 2x2 binning for the RGB (I think still at 8 mins coz I wasn't thinking, but do 4 or 5 mins). I only got 2 subs of each RGB.

You will need to double the size of the RGB images as, being binned, will be half the size of the lum. Resize using pixel number. Don't just enlarge by 200%. I tried that and it wasn't accurate enough.

Good luck!

Alexxx

M51.jpg

Edited by Astrosurf
  • Like 1

I have the 414 as well with pretty much the same kit. I tried binning and it wasn't a huge success at the focal length I used it for (ED80 with reducer). The colour made the stars a bit blocky. I just go straight 1x1 now. The above posters are right, go for about 10 min L subs, and as many as you can and then add in the colour, and you won't need as much and can probably get away with 5 min subs as well and push in processing, as the camera is lovely and clean, which is my default approach these days.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, MattJenko said:

I have the 414 as well with pretty much the same kit. I tried binning and it wasn't a huge success at the focal length I used it for (ED80 with reducer). The colour made the stars a bit blocky. I just go straight 1x1 now. The above posters are right, go for about 10 min L subs, and as many as you can and then add in the colour, and you won't need as much and can probably get away with 5 min subs as well and push in processing, as the camera is lovely and clean, which is my default approach these days.

Thanks, im having issues getting enough focus with my set up - are you using any extenders on your focuser?

• Like 1

I have the 10mm M48 adaptor to T-ring from FLO to attach the reducer to the filter wheel then 414 which gives me 55mm thereabouts. I use an occasional delrin spacer to make it right. I started out using a Bahtinov mask on a bright star near the target, which worked great, but I use a motorfocuser now and SGP autofocus routines make things hands off. If you click the link in my signature, you can see how the setup looks. Enjoy it, I love this camera. I am now using it on my 250px for longer focxal length imaging and it is perfect again.

• Like 2