Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

ajc0502

Help with my motor drive

Hi everyone!

I've recently bought a R.A Motor Drive and it's meant to track the object so it stays in the FOV but it seems to make the object move up!

I don't know why?

Please help,

ajc0502

images.jpg

Seems like a sillyquestion but have you definitely got it attached to the RA axis and not the dec axis?

If so, have you got it switched to N (for northern hemisphere)

Yes everything is set right but it goes up no matter how much I change the speed

Another silly question - have you set your latitude and aligned your RA axis to north? 

And what object are you talking about. I've found I can get pretty good tracking with stars and dsos but solar system objects will still drift a little. 

13 minutes ago, ajc0502 said:

Yes everything is set right but it goes up no matter how much I change the speed

Could you post a couple of photos of the drive attached to your mount ?

Yes I've done most of it. I've set my latitude to about 51 degrees (where I live) and I may need a recap on how to align the scope to the north.

And yes of course there's a battery in it, here are some pictures

Thanks

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

If the star still drifts up, as you have described, with your ra drive switched off, then as mentioned you have a PA error.

Michael

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Corpze
      Hi guys, I have made a video of how to mount a Primalucelab Sesto Senso focus motor on a true 3" Feather Touch 3215 focuser.
      I thought some of you might wonder how to use the extra collar you need to mount the motor on to the bigger versions of the FT focusers, and also how to align the motor shaft.

Enjoy 

• By Corpze
      Hi, i just wanna share a in depth review that i made on how the Primalucelab Sesto Senso works, and how i actually runs an autofocus routine with it.

you can watch the whole review on my youtube channel here: 

• By bottletopburly
      So  my birthday just past so money to splash on astro stuff , i will have my 1000D modded by juan at cheapastrophotography and also have ordered an autofocuser from deepsky dad https://deepskydad.com/autofocuser i know they can be done DIY but this is a neat package  and costs about the same as a SW autofocuser and a hitechastro focusmaster and i`m no electronic wizard and pavel seems to have a good product and works with ascom and confirmed it works with APT i will update in a few weeks time when hopefully i will have received and tried out . 

• By lenscap
      I have a Helios 200p (identical to the Skywatcher) mounted on an  EQ3-2.
      I know it is overloaded but I find it OK for visual provided I give it a couple of seconds to settle down at high powers.
      I intend to motorise the mount using stepper motors & an Arduino. It will be tracking for visual only with a possible upgrade path to GoTo.
      Since I dont need fantastic precision and having read the relevant threads on this forum, I propose to drive the RA worm directly & the DEC with a simple belt drive. By avoiding a step-down gear set I will still be able to use the manual slo-mo controls without disconnecting the motors. I think that centering the target with the slo-mo's & then switching on the tracking will be nicer than using fast-forward & fast-reverse controls.
      But no step-down means no torque amplification. So how much torque do you need to drive an overloaded EQ3-2. I decided  to do some quick & dirty tests.
      Apparatus
      200p with 25mm Plossl & 9 X 50 Finder, payload about 9kg.
      EQ3-2 with 10kg of counterweights
      Improvised wooden pulley, effective radius 0.375 inch
      2 X 1kg barbell weights
      piece of string
      Method
      For each axis ,with the clutches locked, a 1kg & then 2kg load was hung from the pulley & released. This was repeated for the  opposite direction of rotation.
      Results
      DEC    1kg    Torque    13.5 oz.inch    Rotated smoothly at about 90 degree/minute
      DEC    2kg    Torque    27   oz.inch     Rotated quickly at about 300 degree/minute +
      RA      1kg    Torque    13.5 oz.inch    Did not rotate
      RA      2kg    Torque    27   oz.inch     Rotated smoothly at about 90 degree/minute
      Conclusion
      The required torque for RA  would be on the limit for a (cheap, ungeared) NEMA 14 stepper but a NEMA 17 motor with a torque of 84 oz.inch should be up to it.
      So now all I have to do is  order the bits & learn how to use an Arduino.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.