Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_lunar_landings.thumb.jpg.b50378d0845690d8a03305a49923eb40.jpg

Sign in to follow this  
sunka

WO 71mm Star f/4.9 fringing?

Hi,

I am new to refractors and have a problem with my WO 71mm Star f/4.9. If bright star is in FOV I get this horrible halos/fringing. Isn't that supposed to happen only in doublets? uncalibrated example of problem is in attachment, left star is the worst  (taken with Sony A7r, 120s exposures)

Thanks!

image.jpeg

Edited by sunka

Hi,

I think there have been a few of these scopes had to be returned for re-aligning, think there has been a slight issue with them, did you buy from FLO, if so drop them an email and they will probably explain more.

sorry, but hope that helps a bit

Bill

Edited by RuralBill

Sorry just noticed you are not in the UK, so not sure on who to contact, but maybe FLO will still shed some light on the issue

Bill

Yes Sorry, that scope has a serious problem which you are not going to be able to resolve yourself. You need to return it for repair/replacement.

ChrisH

9 minutes ago, RuralBill said:

Hi,

I think there have been a few of these scopes had to be returned for re-aligning, think there has been a slight issue with them, did you buy from FLO, if so drop them an email and they will probably explain more.

sorry, but hope that helps a bit

Bill

Sorry did not mean to post this again, just edited spelling mistakes.... :)

Edited by RuralBill

7 minutes ago, ChrisLX200 said:

Yes Sorry, that scope has a serious problem which you are not going to be able to resolve yourself. You need to return it for repair/replacement.

ChrisH

Is that why they have discontinued them ?.

Bill

20 minutes ago, RuralBill said:

Is that why they have discontinued them ?.

Bill

No, I don't think so. They are a popular/capable scope and the issue affected only very few examples - I guess you're unlucky in that respect. I'm not sure why they were discontinued - perhaps too expensive to manufacture for the asking price so there was little profit to be had? Good examples are treasured by their owners so I hope you can get yours fixed and performing as it should.

ChrisH

Well thats what I dreaded, I hope its something else... :(

I bought it second hand. So far I imaged with ASI174mm and there have only been slight halos. But ASI174MM is not full frame of course. A few images with it:

http://www.astronom.si/galerija/file.php?n=5634&w=o

http://www.astronom.si/galerija/file.php?n=5649&w=o

http://www.astronom.si/galerija/file.php?n=5658&w=o

The only thing I can think of is severe vignetting due to adapters -> I used T-2 to Sony alpha which narrows optical train down and than I attached it to scope with T2 to M48 adapter... I also attached M27 and M57 short exposures just before I started NGC7000.

EDIT: I also wrote to FLO guys now

_DSC0029.jpg

_DSC0031.jpg

EDIT 2: its not vignetting... this is with canon eos 50D and m48 adapter

Untitled.png

Edited by sunka
additional info

Scope is back from collimation, first test look good (beside slight tilt). Tested with ASI174MM.

Vega:

center:

image (1).png

top center:

image (2).png

top right:

image (3).png

middle right:

image (4).png

bottom right:

image (5).png

bottom center:

image (6).png

bottom left:

image (7).png

middle left:

image (8).png

top left:

image (9).png

Andromeda luminance:

IMG_8455.JPG

I still have to test it with APS-C and full frame.

Edited by sunka

Certainly appears better then the original post and image. Is the tilt in that focuser, camera and spacer assembly ?

As of today I'm not sure about the tilt - Vega shots seem to indicate it, but yesterday's Andromeda session doesn't show it (check attachment). Setup only differs in 2mm T2  spacer ring. I must test the scope with bigger sensor next to see what's what.

image.jpeg