CG5 mount, clutches seized

SteveBz

Ok.  The best I could find was 1200 wet sanding. I used bike oil as the lubricant and it's working well. One evening sitting and rubbing (maybe 2 hours) I got 2 of the 3 surfaces done on the dec. Another evening rubbing should do the dec.

Sadly I broke the dovetail locking bolt after whacking the collar with a rubber mallet and missing!

Any idea where I could get a substitute? Maybe there is something on bikes or autos that might work. I could get an ordinary hexagonal-headed bolt with the right thread and make a bigger head for it.

Finally I want to say how amazed I am that this is working at all. Although it's a little time consuming it's very cool to be fixing an eq5 like this.

Thanks to everyone who's contributed.

S.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, DannyLee said:

So Steve,

did you finish it? does it all work now?

Dan

Everything fits now and two days ago I reassembled the great monster and threw the 8 incher on top: it looks simply stunning.  Last night I rolled it out, but actually it wasn't a very dark night and there was a lot that wasn't quite right.  It clearly needs re-collimating, the polar scope, which I cannibalised from another scope also needed calibrating.  One of the tripod legs needs a little loosening.  As I mentioned before, I still need to change the grease to Moly grease.  Also the gears need adjusting again.

So some way to go, but still a great result.

I found some thumbscrews screws to replace the ones I broke in my spares box.

Thanks for your help and encouragement.

Steve.

Archived