Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Abernethy - MINI STAR CAMP

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi David & Martin,sorry for delay in reply.

It is with regret i wont be able to attend your event due to work commitments.

I wish you all the best of luck and hope you have clear skies for all your efforts.

Hope this event will grow and maybe make it up next year,say hi to all the folk from me.

Goodluck

Kenny.

STAR CAMP UPDATE - just to clarify, we have had a few questions re facilities.
We have:-
1. Showers (ladies & gents).
2. A kitchen for basics (washing dishes etc) a cooker and an oven, but being a camp most of you will use camping stoves.
3. Toilets (ladies & gents)....
4. Parking which will be marshalled.
5. Bring your own towels for showers etc.
6. A hall for the Planetarium, quizzes, movies and possibly talks.
7. Loo paper will be provided.
8. We will provide everyone with a huge bin bag for rubbish, we dont have a skip so would appreciate if at the end of your stay you take it home to your local recycling centre. Thank You
9. The organisers can be bribed at any time with fine malt whiskies for a preferrable space on the the park
10. Please enjoy yourself and dont be afraid to ask - oh and we welcome hippies who will do a clear sky dance.

On 26 September 2016 at 00:23, wackyscot said:

STAR CAMP UPDATE - just to clarify, we have had a few questions re facilities.
We have:-
1. Showers (ladies & gents).
2. A kitchen for basics (washing dishes etc) a cooker and an oven, but being a camp most of you will use camping stoves.
3. Toilets (ladies & gents)....
4. Parking which will be marshalled.
5. Bring your own towels for showers etc.
6. A hall for the Planetarium, quizzes, movies and possibly talks.
7. Loo paper will be provided.
8. We will provide everyone with a huge bin bag for rubbish, we dont have a skip so would appreciate if at the end of your stay you take it home to your local recycling centre. Thank You
9. The organisers can be bribed at any time with fine malt whiskies for a preferrable space on the the park
10. Please enjoy yourself and dont be afraid to ask - oh and we welcome hippies who will do a clear sky dance.

Some one told me it was the "Old Sizal loo paper that was provided! Is that correct, cuss it will definitely sort oot the Men frae the Boys!!  Ouch! :evil4:

Hello All,well i arrived at Davids in pouring rain,had a good journey up,after a quiz night at the local freemason`s hall in aid of the local museum,we are fed and watered and the sky is gin clear------ but too windy to get out a scope,it bodes well for the weekend tho, hope every one has a good journey over,see you all when you get here. 

Mike

6 hours ago, Demon Barber said:

Hi All,well we have been spoiled rotten, here are a couple of photo`s, the sky is not quite as gin clear as last night,so to all those coming your in for a treat,and everyone else you should be coming!

Regards

Mike

IMG_6234.JPG

IMG_6237.JPG

Are you sure you took the lens cap off Mike?

Well, we started out Saturday morning with inky blue skies- which stayed with us till around 2pm. We went into Perth for "provisions" then the rain poured for around 30 seconds, we had to stop off again for David's e-cig supplies then back to camp for a reccie. The weather looked poor but we were hopeful. Booze and training took place and we were rewarded with clear skies  for our efforts.  We had a lot of locals in for the outreach. We also had palenetrium shows. Again the skies went black, apart from the odd stray light, we had a great night and an big laugh - what a good venue and bunch of folks - fingers crossed for Sunday

Mike

P.S. pics to follow

Hi David,

You are very fortunate that I did not go to your Abernethy Star Party. I have gone down with a horrible dose of flu. (I had a flu injection on Tuesday and I am laid up now).

I am glad to hear that it has been a success. Hopefully, I will be able to attend the next one.....

Cheers

Adrian

Hello everyone just back from a great new event ,David and Martyn have made a positive impression with their Abernethy Star Camp, it bodes well for a repeat performance next year,the event has been a great sucess with all the effort made in it`s creation,and we got to see stars in a brilliant black sky for the entire event, i have got to mention that i am envious of the location.

Everyone i`m sure will join me in saying well done, for your first event.

All the folk i talked to were impressed with the time taken to explain the sky and the telescopes on display as this was very much an inclusive event for novices,the local population and those that had traveled a distance,including a very enterprising 70yr old who traveled on the bus with all his equipment and who asked when the next event is to be staged he had enjoyed himself so much. Steve and James were on hand with their Cosmos Planetarium and put on 3 shows,answering a variety of questions from a very enthusiastic audience

The event had the backing of  a varied cross section of the villagers who took a great interest in all the goings on, all in all a very friendly reception awaits anyone travelling to that part of Scotland.

Roll on next year,

Mike

Thanks for the kind words Mike, was great to have you at the camp, sharing stories, laughs, the odd sherry and having 3 clear nights.

When we took this on, I never knew how much work it would take to make it happen. I now know the work you must do to make Galloway happen. Abernethy was a bit of a risk, dealing with councils and public liability insurance etc., but I must say, Perth and Kinross Council did us proud with there support, switching off street lights for us and making sure the park was fit for purpose.

A great turnout, I estimate around 100 people on Saturday night. We had positive feedback from all we spoke to. So fingers crossed ASC2 will happen.

Thanks again Mike

David

Hi David,

Great to hear that it was an outstanding success. I hope to be able attend the next event. Early warning of the possible date would be much appreciated.

Well Done.....

We must drink a wee dram to celebrate the next time we meet.

Slainte

Adrian

Well done with the event Wacky and luckily the skies sounded like they performed. 

From the drone footage I saw some familiar faces and also noticed Mike travelled as light as he usually does :evil6:

Archived