Narrowband

Is Three a Crowd ? Ethos

Pig

56 minutes ago, jetstream said:

Congratulations Shaun!

Thank you Gerry :icon_biggrin:

3 hours ago, Paul73 said:

At least everyone agrees that the Ethos line are damn fine eyepieces...... Whatever  you stick them in.

That 13mm would make for a nice balanced collection.

Paul

Within the description of the Ethos range it clearly details their use in refractors :happy11:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, John said:

Congrats on expanding the Ethos fleet Shaun :icon_biggrin:

The 6mm and 4.7mm are superb as well but you don't want to know that :evil4:

I expect I'll splash out on the 3.7 soon before the TV sale ends. I've not seen one on the used market for ages.

The sale is due to end on the 30th of July with TH, one of the reasons I got the 8mm now :happy6:

5 hours ago, Davey-T said:

I think it would be really rude not to buy the 13mm, that's a big gap from 8 to 17 :evil4:

Dave

It has crossed my mind :happy11: but for some reason I don't seem to use that sort of power range.

2 hours ago, estwing said:

Same here Shaun I go 21 for scanning then BANG!.....in with the 8

It's funny that, my scopes are smaller aperture than Calvin's but I also find that the 13mm Ethos, fabulous though it is, does not get used as much as the 21 or the 8 :icon_scratch:

I'm still glad to have the 13 though and it was my 1st Ethos :icon_biggrin:

Calvin / John ......I thought I would stick with the 2" format for low mag as this reasoning seems to agree for the achieving wider fields.

I also noticed for the first time last week that you do not need high power to split double stars and that the 17mm and 21mm Ethos did this remarkably well in my scopes. For example, Polaris's companion was clearly separated by both eyepieces whereas in other eyepieces I have used it wasn't. I can only put this down to quality reasons. 

The jump to 8mm is pretty much for the same reasons as you have both explained. Any higher power than 8mm will probably be exclusive to planets & lunar for me.

43 minutes ago, John said:

It's funny that, my scopes are smaller aperture than Calvin's but I also find that the 13mm Ethos, fabulous though it is, does not get used as much as the 21 or the 8 :icon_scratch:

Same story for me, but I would never sell it. One thing I would add is that the 13mm very rarely lets me down when the seeing is not ideal. The 8mm (and all those below it) can often be challenged by our viewing conditions but the 13mm is my goto EP when that happens and rarely fails to deliver.

I'm finding that I'm using high powers all the time lately. Mostly because my targets of late have been solar system or doubles. When the skies are darker I'll probably get more sessions with my 12" dob with a single low / wide eyepiece in the focuser for most of the time.

6 hours ago, John said:

and it works very well in a powermate ....eliminating the need for the 6....gotta love those powermates!

31 minutes ago, estwing said:

and it works very well in a powermate ....eliminating the need for the 6....gotta love those powermates!

I think Powermates are fantastic things but didn't eliminate the desire (rather than the need) to move to dedicated shorter length Ethos, for me.

If I want to run a leaner eyepiece set I'd be fine with doing it with a Powermate again though.

7 hours ago, John said:

I think Powermates are fantastic things but didn't eliminate the desire (rather than the need) to move to dedicated shorter length Ethos, for me.

+1

One of the things I disliked about the Powermates was the even greater extension of the eyepiece "stack". A crayford with a 2" extension tube, Paracorr, 2x Powermate and a 21mm Ethos is about the same length as a Pirate's telescope :eek:

I do prefer dedicated focal lengths but accept that Powermates are a fantastic way of getting the most out of a smaller number of EPs :smile:

On 9.07.2016 г. at 21:37, John said:

Congrats on expanding the Ethos fleet Shaun :icon_biggrin:

The 6mm and 4.7mm are superb as well but you don't want to know that :evil4:

I expect I'll splash out on the 3.7 soon before the TV sale ends. I've not seen one on the used market for ages.

I have seen a 3.7mm a few times John but never a 4.7mm. I go for holidays and now Shaun is takling about 3 eyepieces, it will be 5 by Christmas, you read it here first!

Well done.  The 8mm won't be your last.  

You'll want the 13mm as this will give you a 1.8mm exit pupil which is therefore probably the best Ethos for galaxies and other faint fuzzies in your Altair.

Later you'll likely want the 4.7mm, as this will give you x164 which will be a good useable planetary magnification for your scope aperture and still have a 0.61 degree field.  

If you try one, you might find you prefer the 21 over the 17, as the 21 gives you a whopping 2.7 degree field. I use the 21mm every time I have scopes out, in fact I use it so much in multiple scopes that I bought an Explore Scientific 20mm 100 degree so that I can have essentially that focal length and width in two different scopes at the same time. 

Personally I've gone with the 21mm and 13mm.  I've found that with these two I don't need the 17mm.  My scopes have the following FLs:  480, 900, 952 and 2350.

19 minutes ago, Commanderfish said:

Well done.  The 8mm won't be your last.  

You'll want the 13mm as this will give you a 1.8mm exit pupil which is therefore probably the best Ethos for galaxies and other faint fuzzies in your Altair.

Later you'll likely want the 4.7mm, as this will give you x164 which will be a good useable planetary magnification for your scope aperture and still have a 0.61 degree field.  

If you try one, you might find you prefer the 21 over the 17, as the 21 gives you a whopping 2.7 degree field. I use the 21mm every time I have scopes out, in fact I use it so much in multiple scopes that I bought an Explore Scientific 20mm 100 degree so that I can have essentially that focal length and width in two different scopes at the same time. 

Personally I've gone with the 21mm and 13mm.  I've found that with these two I don't need the 17mm.  My scopes have the following FLs:  480, 900, 952 and 2350.

Thank you, lots of food for thought there ......I did think hard about the 13mm but having owned quite a few eyepieces around this size I have tended not to use them that often :icon_biggrin: I bought both the 21 & 17 as I do like wide views of the night sky. The 8mm sits nicely in the middle and will give some nice views of coloured stars, doubles and hopefully the Moon at just under 100 x mag and I am sure it will work great with the multi combinations of the VIP Barlow. My 5mm and 3.5 XW's see a lot of use for mainly planetary and Lunar.

On 09/07/2016 at 16:45, Pig said:

Is Three a Crowd ? Ethos

Shaun, you are showing signs of resisting the inevitable so you leave me no option...

This is not a crowd...

Ethos.jpg

You know it makes sense :wink:

Just now, DRT said:

Shaun, you are showing signs of resisting the inevitable so you leave me no option...

This is not a crowd...

Ethos.jpg:icon_biggrin:

You know it makes sense :wink:

I must admit Derek.... I know it will happen as I have not yet been able to relax without buying the complete set of any eyepieces I have owned :icon_biggrin: I must have some form of OCD....even to the degree that I think you should have all your eyepieces above placed in the same orientation, either sideways or upright but not both. Of course this means you will have to cut some new foam :icon_flower: only 5 out of 10 for presentation I'm afraid !!

1 minute ago, Pig said:

I must admit Derek.... I know it will happen as I have not yet been able to relax without buying the complete set of any eyepieces I have owned :icon_biggrin: I must have some form of OCD....even to the degree that I think you should have all your eyepieces above placed in the same orientation, either sideways or upright but not both. Of course this means you will have to cut some new foam :icon_flower: only 5 out of 10 for presentation I'm afraid !!

Shaun, I lay awake at night worrying about that. Unfortunately it is the only way to get all of the eyepieces in one case :sad:

(bearing in mind there is a full set of Panoptics to the right of the Ethi :wink: )

Yes I saw the picture in the "eyepiece case" thread :happy11: now together they do look good and there is some kind of order... so your back at 8 out of ten for the lower entropy state :happy6:

35 minutes ago, Pig said:

Yes I saw the picture in the "eyepiece case" thread :happy11: now together they do look good and there is some kind of order... so your back at 8 out of ten for the lower entropy state :happy6:

Thanks, that makes me feel better - I might even sleep tonight!

But, and it is a big but, I just don't know what to do with my Pentax Zoom. It just doesn't fit in that case, in many more ways than one :rolleyes2:

5 minutes ago, DRT said:

Thanks, that makes me feel better - I might even sleep tonight!

But, and it is a big but, I just don't know what to do with my Pentax Zoom. It just doesn't fit in that case, in many more ways than one :rolleyes2:

Its a tricky one Derek ...... I don't have a solution either :dontknow:

OCD can be quite costly can't it ? :undecided:

I went through that with Nagler T6's and TV Plossls but I'm going to resist Ethos that won't get used much, despite the lure.

I think the secret is to get OCD over a relatively low cost range !

19 minutes ago, John said:

I think the secret is to get OCD over a relatively low cost range !

Do you think there is any chance Mrs T will believe that when it comes to shoes? :rolleyes2:

12 minutes ago, DRT said:

Do you think there is any chance Mrs T will believe that when it comes to shoes? :rolleyes2:

Probably not ! :grin:

My other half hates buying both shoes and handbags so I've no bargaining counters there :undecided:

Archived