SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Is our Universe 13.7 billion years old ? I'm not quite convinced

2 minutes ago, Stub Mandrel said:

Space is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist, but that's just peanuts to space.

But I'll bet you don't know where your towel is.

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This thread reminds me of Hofstadter's " Godel Escher Bach : An Eternal Golden Braid" with ideas twisting in and out, although not quite so eloquent (at least on my part).

Regards Andrew

Got the towel now where is the face flannel

9 hours ago, andrew s said:

This thread reminds me of Hofstadter's " Godel Escher Bach : An Eternal Golden Braid" with ideas twisting in and out, although not quite so eloquent (at least on my part).

Regards Andrew

Got the towel now where is the face flannel

Perhaps if you take the first letter of each comment and read them backwards you will get the answer?

15 hours ago, andrew s said:

" Godel Escher Bach 

No good following Godel - he has not finished yet ( ok ok someone had to walk through that gate that you left wide open :) *)

and Escher makes my eyes go funny, dont know if I am coming or going

I do like a good bit of Bach ( tho Haydn is a little more relaxing )  especially when my 15" subs get a good dose of 32' pipe.

,, what was the question ? :angel9:

*hands-up :) who wants an explanation on the back of an envelope :D

On 31/08/2016 at 15:13, andrew s said:

Every breath you take / Every step you make / Every bond you break / refutes Zeno's paradox which is why we went from philosophy to  evidence based science.

...but no because cats can't anatomically use bows.

Regards Andrew

You're assuming the cat fired the arrow with a bow. I never actually stated the weapons delivery system.

It's Friday, and it's just coming up to  whiskey  o'clock, the stars are going to be hidden by high level fog tonight so the Jura is coming out to be hammered. 

Perfect time to think about time and distance between time then and now. :happy6:

:headbang:

11 minutes ago, Nigel G said:

It's Friday, and it's just coming up to  whiskey  o'clock, the stars are going to be hidden by high level fog tonight so the Jura is coming out to be hammered. 

Perfect time to think about time and distance between time then and now. :happy6:

There are many things I do not know about the universe, but one thing that I know is an absolute and indisputable fact is that Jura should be served at "whisky o'clock", not "whiskey o'clock" :rolleyes2:

10 minutes ago, DRT said:

There are many things I do not know about the universe, but one thing that I know is an absolute and indisputable fact is that Jura should be served at "whisky o'clock", not "whiskey o'clock" :rolleyes2:

Blooming auto spell ☺apologies 

I got this whisky at Jura and sailed it home 700 miles during August so it certainly deserves to be spelt correctly. (There was at least one day one of the crew wished they were sitting under a tree)

Not sure if I should have used spelt or spelled there ☺

Nige.

6 minutes ago, Mak the Night said:

So, if a drunken cat from a parallel universe fires Zeno's Arrow from an unspecified weapons delivery system at an orbiting Russian canine cosmonaut also from a parallel universe, who may or may not be inebriated, will it make a sound?

Only if someone is there to hear it.

29 minutes ago, Nigel G said:

Not sure if I should have used spelt or spelled there

Spelled ! deffo, cos then it would have prevented some wise-guy from saying :-

"  I think whisky is made from barley not spelt " ( mind you the Belgians brew with wheat so I suppose anything is possible ? )

:duckie:

1 hour ago, Nigel G said:

Plonk o'clock - but not too much, since it's blue skies here!

Doug.

21 minutes ago, Mak the Night said:

So, if a drunken cat from a parallel universe fires Zeno's Arrow from an unspecified weapons delivery system at an orbiting Russian canine cosmonaut also from a parallel universe, who may or may not be inebriated, will it make a sound?

Interesting.  Is the drunken cat and the canine cosmonaut in the same universe or different parallel universe. 

The dog wouldn't hear anything other than his own bark or yelp on impact as the arrow is faster than sound that's assuming the drunken cat can shoot straight and the dog is still alive ,... hang on how fast does sound travel in space?

The cat would hear odd noises as it's drunk a and can't quite make them out. 

So yes there would be sounds I think.

I have taken the whisky challenge and have been trying to visualize the universe starting with the ripples in a pond analogy radiating out from the center "the big bang" and am now wondering if its the reverse in that new space is created in the center and the big bang is the outer ripples.

Alan

17 minutes ago, cloudsweeper said:

Always assuming the Zeno's Arrow's worldline makes an angle of more than 45 degrees on the Minkowski spacetime diagram.

Doug.

Out of order!  Is response to @DRT.

I never assume anything to do with inebriated cats, orbiting dogs, space time and projectiles.

31 minutes ago, Nigel G said:

Interesting.  Is the drunken cat and the canine cosmonaut in the same universe or different parallel universe. 

The dog wouldn't hear anything other than his own bark or yelp on impact as the arrow is faster than sound that's assuming the drunken cat can shoot straight and the dog is still alive ,... hang on how fast does sound travel in space?

The cat would hear odd noises as it's drunk a and can't quite make them out. 

Interesting.  Is the drunken cat and the canine cosmonaut in the same universe or different parallel universe.

Good question. I suppose it could be either.

That’s assuming the dog isn’t deaf, I’m not entirely sure of the weapons delivery accuracy of drunken cats and I’m fairly certain sound needs a medium to travel in. Unless of course in the movie universe where Hollywood spacecraft often make sounds in space.

The cat would hear odd noises as it's drunk a and can't quite make them out.

This is of course very subjective and only known to the particular spaced out kitty.

In space, no one can hear you fart, apparently. Or is it scream?

A couple of doubles has got my mine ticking.

Andromida is 2.5 million light years from our Galaxy and hurting towards us at approximately 402,000 kilometres an hour.  As the universe is expanding faster than I can think and our Galaxy started in the same place as Andromida how has gravity taken over from the immense expansion of our Universe, this seems impossible as each galaxy is also expanding reducing the gravitational pull? 

Second thought.  In the vastness of nothingness outside our expanding universe there has to be other expanding universes I think. What would (will) happen when universes collide, it would (will) be a spectacular sight, it may already have happened,  we may see it tomorrow!!!!

1 minute ago, Nigel G said:

A couple of doubles has got my mine ticking.

Andromida is 2.5 million light years from our Galaxy and hurting towards us at approximately 402,000 kilometres an hour.  As the universe is expanding faster than I can think and our Galaxy started in the same place as Andromida how has gravity taken over from the immense expansion of our Universe, this seems impossible as each galaxy is also expanding reducing the gravitational pull? 

Second thought.  In the vastness of nothingness outside our expanding universe there has to be other expanding universes I think. What would (will) happen when universes collide, it would (will) be a spectacular sight, it may already have happened,  we may see it tomorrow!!!!

I think you are nearly there, Nigel. Have another couple of double Juras and come back in an hour with an update :wink:

Archived