RA setting circle.

26 minutes ago, michael8554 said:

So long as you use the same mark on the mount body it shouldn't matter.

I'm not an EQ mount user, but I see no mention of setting your Dec circle. Is it on zero or 90 when pointing at the Pole, and are you rotating the mount in the right directiion on the scale after aligning on a nearby star?

Michael

Just set it all up and used a compas to point north, got the scope matching the mount and it was bang on 90 against the little black triangle arrow so hopefully things seem OK. Too much cloud though to look for Polaris. Will keep persevering as I want to get this right before better conditions in the winter. Thanks. 

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The compass method, it’s a really rough polar alignment.  Each time I use the compass to polar align, the alignment is inadequate... and it's impossible to keep an image still at high power.  Now I use the polar scope on my mount to get way better results Again, it's not a perfect polar alignment but it's far better then the compass method. (unless I lack the knowledge of how to align with a compass, it's possible but unlikely) I can keep an image still in almost the center of the eyepiece for many minutes at 212x power.

Like the link bellow, you can install one of these on your EQ3 mount. (it's like a steering wheel to a car)

http://ca.skywatcher.com/_english/03_accessories/02_detail.php?sid=191

Calibration is straight forward, I used the video bellow to grasp the basics on how to fine calibrate the device, it's not perfectly calibrated right now but works great, level of difficulty is low.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5djq2C4PeFI

Maybe if you rafine your polar alignment, the setting circles could put the scope on the right region, and maybe, with some luck, on the right object. (using low power EP giving like 40x)

--> Polarscope is great tool to give the comfort of a good alignment for visual observation, at least.

After another go last night I have decided not to waste too much of my time on this , as I am still not getting close to objects using this method. I tested again on 2 stars and was way off. What bothers me is that I can gently move in RA and the setting circle doesn't move straight away, making it pointless. By the time it moves, I have moved the scope quite a few minutes of RA. 

Think I'll have to learn to star hop with the help of TLAO. Just need darker skies to check I'm in the right place!  Followed instructions last night to the Pinwheel Galaxy and was sure I was there but no sign of it. 

The Pinwheel is a tough object to see, particularly if you have light pollution like I do.  I can't even see it in my 12 inch scope.  With your 3 inch scope it is going to be a challenge to bring in enough light for galaxies.  I would practice with easy bright targets and stars very close to your target such as M57 using the star Vega as the calibration star.  M17 and M22 using the star Altair.  Andromeda using the star Mirach.  M5 using Arcturus. M13 using Vega etc.  Remember, to key is getting a precise polar alignment with the polar scope.  

As far star hopping, TLAO is a fine book, however, what I like to star hop with is with the atlas called "Pocket Sky Atlas".  It is compact and perfect to use at the scope.  The thing about "Pocket Sky Atlas" is that on the inside cover has a template to make a circular disk the diameter of your finder scope field of view.  There is even a scale template for Telrad folks as well.  My finder scope field of view is 7°.  With this circular disk and "Pocket Sky Atlas" you can practice star hopping during the day of the targets you plan on seeing.  The link below gives a good idea of how to do this.  This method gave me a sense of scale.

http://www.washedoutastronomy.com/washedoutastronomy.com/content/star-hopping-tutorial-lesson-one-m57/index.html

Archived