Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Recommendation for 8 mm EP

2 hours ago, Sirius Starwatcher said:

recommend an 8 mm EP to complete my collection.

I have the WO SPL  6 mm  because  BST don't have a 6mm Starguider yet?  otherwise I'd  own one......simple! The  WO SPL is a very nice EP  but I`d have the 6mm Starguider in a heartbeat.

I've  had a Tv Plossl 8mm and found the eye-relief unusable,  The Delos has a wider field,  greater eye-relief, but apart from that, the object I'm looking at is the same size as the 8mm BST provides, just more space around it, if you like that sort or thing, and you could buy 3 x BSTs for the price of  any one of my Delos  EPs ( at second hand prices) and although not  necessary for our f/6 Skyliners, apart from the wider views I suppose ( less nudging, more time viewing?) 
I'm still undecided on them?. I still read reviews, and listen to folk praise them highly, and  to some degree, since I started out, have viewed them as the best you can buy ( the brand ) but having owned two Delos for a while now, with little/no time and poor conditions in which to assess, I sometimes wonder what the hype is about when I compare them to my BSTs?
Maybe I will/can convert to them, but it will be a sad day when I sell the starguiders? That would be if/when I upgrade to a 12" scope and possibly then, see the full benefit of the Delos EPs, selling the Starguiders as a full set with the 200P Skyliner, its an awesome combination under the right conditions and dark skies.

We have a similar setup, and similar EPs, just our eyes differ, but no doubt, the 8mm Starguider is a great eyepiece. return it if not satisfied, at least you will have experienced it?

Have you compared stars as they drift across the entire field to see if they change shape or size in the BSTs?  I'm curious to know if they have Delos level correction in a 60 degree field.

Louis D, I tend to view on axis, constantly tracking,  so not overly concerned what happens at the extreme edges in my field of view but I understand what your saying, I also understand that each and every Delos is personally tested for sharpness down to f/4?
I often mention, the  Delos is not really essential on an f/6 scope, and No! I have not carried out your test, but the nearest specification I can find to cover the Starguiders  mentions ........ Their 60° field of view is very flat, particularly with telescopes f/5 and above in focal ratio. They are uniformly sharp edge-to-edge, with markedly low astigmatism.

The Starguiders are based, as are several other branded EPs, on the  same design and features of the Astrotech Paradigm EP's, of which this link has a description too what these EP's offer. https://www.astronomics.com/astro-tech-paradigm-dual-ed-eyepieces_c52.aspx

And the 8mm Starguider against a Radian. 

HTH.

If your fund allows and 8mm must it be, then Delos should be the among the best choices for planetary, especially if you can get a pre-loved one.

If 8mm is a little more flexible, 7mm Pentax XW should be good choice, or if you don't wear glass, then 7mm or 9mm orthos (Fujiyama or Astro-hutech) are  cheaper but optically as least as good as Delos or XW.:smiley:

To those who recommend BST so warmly, it might worth to notice this ads in the last two days.

Richard,

The E8mm would certainly work with your 6SE but I'm not sure you would be able to benefit from the 100 degree FOV due to the relatively narrow field of that type of telescope. Others here might be able to give you more precise information on that.

Derek

Yes, that's right, the Vixen NPL range are highly thought of.

However, the eye relief is tight at 4.5mm.

I don't have a problem with the 8mm TV plossl, the eye relief is 6mm, but I wouldn't want to go much tighter.

The Televue 8mm Plossl  has 6mm of eye-relief, my Revelation 6mm has 5mm eye-relief and the 9mm has 6mm eye-relief? The revelations have a slightly wider afov which is probably why I find them more comfortable to use.
The fact that I can't use the TV 8mm comfortably  precluded me from ever buying the full set?  Its  often the smallest issue that sways your decision, therefore making one eyepiece good, or bad, but not always equal for everyone.

2 hours ago, DRT said:

Richard,

The E8mm would certainly work with your 6SE but I'm not sure you would be able to benefit from the 100 degree FOV due to the relatively narrow field of that type of telescope. Others here might be able to give you more precise information on that.

Derek

Derek,

Ive looked into it and apparently the 13mm gives a much brighter view and is able to take full advantage of my 6se maybe I will be purchase a 13mm ethos and see how I go thank you Derek.

Richard

I think for the OP the BST is about the obvious option, cannot see any other then the TV plossl and that will have a bit tight eye relief, similar for the Vixen NPL.

From their equipment it is apparent that a 7mm or 9mm is too close to the other eyepieces they have. So unless there is the option for higher monetary outlay I cannot think of anything other then the BST.

39 minutes ago, ronin said:

I think for the OP the BST is about the obvious option, cannot see any other then the TV plossl and that will have a bit tight eye relief, similar for the Vixen NPL.

From their equipment it is apparent that a 7mm or 9mm is too close to the other eyepieces they have. So unless there is the option for higher monetary outlay I cannot think of anything other then the BST.

That's how a warm salesreprenstative behave:icon_biggrin:, just don't care to read what OP has jsut sold.

Thank you all for your input it really does help concentrate the mind when a number of people can put forward the pros and cons of each manufacturers kit. I failed to mention a number of things in my opening question. 

I wear spectacles. I did own the BST 8 mm but having tried the Vixen SPL found the vixen to be much clearer, sharper and brighter. So sold the BST.  As well as serving the 8 inch Dob I am ultimately looking to finish up with a 12 inch Dob and a C8 or C9.25 as my ideal set of scopes so am looking for the EP to be future proof for theses scopes.

Would anyone care to comment on the baader 8 mm Hyperion as a choice it appears to get good reviews.

Also the SW Nirvana UWA also appears to have favourable reports.

31 minutes ago, Sirius Starwatcher said:

Thank you all for your input it really does help concentrate the mind when a number of people can put forward the pros and cons of each manufacturers kit. I failed to mention a number of things in my opening question. 

I wear spectacles. I did own the BST 8 mm but having tried the Vixen SPL found the vixen to be much clearer, sharper and brighter. So sold the BST.  As well as serving the 8 inch Dob I am ultimately looking to finish up with a 12 inch Dob and a C8 or C9.25 as my ideal set of scopes so am looking for the EP to be future proof for theses scopes.

Would anyone care to comment on the baader 8 mm Hyperion as a choice it appears to get good reviews.

Also the SW Nirvana UWA also appears to have favourable reports.

The Hyperions are good in the F/10 scopes but stuggle with field edge sharpness at F/6 and slower so I don't think it would be such a good choice for a 12" dob.

The UWANs / Nirvanas are pretty good eyepieces - very close to the performance of the more expensive Naglers from Tele Vue. I just wish there were more in the range. The Explore Scientific UWA eyepieces get very good feedback as well.

Edit: I ought to add that the UWANs / Nirvanas have 12mm of eye relief which may be a bit short / tight if you wear glasses when observing.

30 minutes ago, Sirius Starwatcher said:

I failed to mention a number of things in my opening question. 

I wear spectacles.

I wear prescriptions but not at the scope, and focusing  alone corrects  for near/far sighted  issues, but  what about astigmatism?
The TelVue Delos  EP's  ( and others in the range) can use the  Dioptrx  corrector units? so if your looking for an  8mm eyepiece, premium quality, life-long use, and faster scope, a second hand Delos with 20mm eye-relief, if you still need to wear glasses,  and their 72°AFOV just might be what you need?

4 hours ago, bingevader said:

Yes, that's right, the Vixen NPL range are highly thought of.

However, the eye relief is tight at 4.5mm.

I don't have a problem with the 8mm TV plossl, the eye relief is 6mm, but I wouldn't want to go much tighter.

I agree, although i dont find the eye relief an issue. I only mentioned the NPL because the OP said they couldnt find an 8mm Vixen.

Obviously the BST would be a better option because of the eye relief and costs about the same. Not sure how much TV plossl sell for.

The SW Nirvana UWA line won't have enough eye relief for spectacles, so cross them off.  Neither will the ES-82 or ES-100 lines.  The 30mm ES-82 is usable if you can find the older version with the flush mounted eye lens (also sold as the Meade 5000 UWA and Celestron Axiom).

If you want an 82 degree field with spectacles, your best bet is the T4 Naglers.  I have the 12mm and 17mm versions and find them quite sharp across the field with a coma corrector.  They're trickier to use with spectacles than the Delos and XW lines, though.  If you want 92 degrees and spectacles, Explore Scientific just came out with their ES-92 line.  Currently, there are only 12mm and 17mm offerings, but they have been very positively reviewed so far.  I'm seriously considering replacing my T4s with them.

There's also the Vixen LV/NLV/SLV lines if a 45 to 50 degree AFOV is good enough for you.  The 9mm LV was my first premium eyepiece and I still have it 20 years later.  It is sharp and contrasty like a Pentax XL/XW across its narrower field of view, yet still has the same 20mm of eye relief for all focal lengths.  The LVs were a bit dim due to their coatings.  The newer incarnations are supposed to be better in this regard.

The Hyperion line is a knock-off of the Vixen LVW line.  They suffer from astigmatism at the edges at most focal lengths.  Most owners eventually trade up.

The Vixen LVW is just a step below the Pentax XL/XW and Delos lines.  They're a decent value if you can find them used.  The 22mm in particular is coveted because the 20mm Pentax XW has field curvature and there is no Delos in that range.  The 22mm Nagler T4 and 22mm Panoptic (discontinued) are the only other options in that range for spectacle wearers.  The 24mm Panoptic doesn't have enough eye relief for spectacles.  Personally, I love my 22mm Astro-Tech AF70.  It matches my Pentax and Delos eyepeices out to 90% of the field.  It's also sold under the Olivon, Celestron Ultima LX, and other names.  Just look for 22mm eyepieces with a 70 degree field and 20mm eye relief.  The 13mm and 17mm versions aren't so hot.

The Morpheus line can be thought of as a decent knock-off of the Delos line.  They are getting rave reviews and might be worthy of consideration.  Some have complained that the field stop is fuzzy and the eyecup is cheap and non-adjustable, but that's about it for negatives.

The 31mm Nagler T5 is usable with spectacles as are the 27mm, 35mm, and 41mm Panoptics.  All are sharp across the field.

Archived