sgl_imaging_challenge_6_banner_jupiter_2021.jpg.eacb9f0c2f90fdaafda890646b3fc199.jpg

June 6th - H Alpha from the bottom of a milk saucepan.

paulastro

Well ok, I didn't really image the sun from the bottom of a saucepan of milk, but that's certainly what it looked like!  Popped out many times from 6 am up to lunch time, and the sky was never better than very poor, with the sun always behind haze or milky clouds.  Thank goodness for modern software which can bring something our from an image when on first inspection there hardly seems to be anything there at all.   It was rather frustrating though, with seven strong prominences and lots of filament details through the murk that I never had a good view of.  Still, I'm pleased to get what I did, and it makes it nineteen days in a row in my current run.  By the looks of things tomorrow will be a lost cause unfortunately so I will miss out on 'twenty up'.

Single frames with the Lunt 60 DS and Olympus E-M10 at 500 asa.  First frame at 10.52 am on 1/30 sec, second at 10.53 am on 1/5 sec.

P7060574d.jpgP7060585a.jpg

• Like 6

38 minutes ago, cshahar said:

Really lovely Paul. It seems like you are getting more and more details despite the conditions. I use your images as h-alpha reference points if they are same day shots.

-Charles

Many thanks Charles, that's very kind of you.

25 minutes ago, xtreemchaos said:

great shots Paul, milky saucepan or not, wow 19 in a row ,are you sure you scope isnt in space :icon_biggrin: , thats hell of a score for our weather. well done.thanks  charl.

Thank you charl.   Mmm, in space?  Now, there's a thought! :grin:.  I am pleased with nineteen, though I admit I'm slightly miffed that it seems unlikely I will be able to make it twenty.  At 7am tomorrow I'd have to go as far north as Carlisle or as far south as the Cotswolds to get a glimpse of the sun, and by 10 am I'd need to go to Scotland.  I think the fact it would take a lot of pennies in petrol and it's also my youngest daughters birthday, means I won't be making such a journey.  Mind you, as we all know, never say never, and if I'm at home I'll have my scope ready for action at a moments notice!  :icon_biggrin:.

• Like 1

Very nice.  I've just posted a quick video of the seeing here in Cambridgeshire.(on my post of surface and prom)  I'd be interested to hear how it compares to yours. 

Regards, Iain 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Iainp said:

Very nice.  I've just posted a quick video of the seeing here in Cambridgeshire.(on my post of surface and prom)  I'd be interested to hear how it compares to yours. 

Regards, Iain 

Thanks Iain.  That video reminds me of what I see most days during my sessions - though not usually for the whole session.  :grin:.  Today however, it wasn't so much the seeing but that the haze, clouds and milky sky just degraded the image so much.  The image was always dim and I had to use longer exposures than usual.  When I first saw the image through the scope, I had to check I wasn't looking at one of the secondary images, I just couldn't see any surface features at all.  For most of my views the limb of the sun looked very hazy and you couldn't  possibly focus on it. (in passing, I don't usually use the limb to focus on, if I do it's not very good for surface detail)  So, in summary, the image was always soft looking, lacking in contrast, dim and with almost no detail seen at times - at least until I applied a few tweaks on the computer.

As I said, the seeing on your video is not unusual where I do most of my observing unfortunately. 

30 minutes ago, David Smith said:

You did well considering the conditionsame Paul. No chance here, too much cloud.

Many thanks David.  When I checked the met weather map some minutes ago it looked as if you may get some early sun tomorrow down  your way - though it's probably changed by now!

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bunnygod1 said:

Pretty good considering the condition's it would be nice to get one more look at that filament in the west. 

Many thanks Pete.  Yes I agree with you.   The weather doesn't look very good in many areas tomorrow but hopefully someone will manage some images to share with the rest of us who probably won't have clear skies.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, paulastro said:

As I said, the seeing on your video is not unusual where I do most of my observing unfortunately. 

That's really interesting. This was particularly bad today, so it seems my normal conditions aren't as bad as I thought!  I'll stop complaining so much now.  Yes, my fault, I read your post too quickly and assumed the milkiness was a reference to 'liquid' wobbles rather than lack of transparency.  Same problem here most days; I can't remember the last time we had a clear blue sky. 

• Like 1