Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Elan Valley

Hello fellow dark sky enthusiasts. When the darker nights arrive, I am thinking about venturing a little further afield to seek out some dark skies. I have previously seen various threads mentioning the viewing around the Elan Valley area. Is there any specific location that people favour, or is the whole area suitable for viewing?

Dave.

• 3 weeks later...

We're goin again this weekend,it's fantastic when the conditions are right..eg, not raining and clear!...we rough camp as there's no official campsite in the valleys...but there are plenty of side roads if you look hard enough....

I haven't been there yet, but there is a large parking area below Claerwen Reservoir that looks inviting, and appears to have adjacent toilet facilities; check it out on Google Earth street view. Observing from the top of the dam would appeal to me. 

Its not far from the Elan Valley, has anyone been there ?

26 minutes ago, L8-Nite said:

I haven't been there yet, but there is a large parking area below Claerwen Reservoir that looks inviting, and appears to have adjacent toilet facilities; check it out on Google Earth street view. Observing from the top of the dam would appeal to me. 

Its not far from the Elan Valley, has anyone been there ?

Six miles. From extensive experience just be aware there are people in cars cruising around the area at night time (drunken boy racers, etc), as is their wont. Take the usual precautions you would anywhere in the UK.

I know the area like the back of my hand.

If you want real quiet without the annoyance of 'curious' nocturnal people and associated headlights destroying night adaption, Teifi Pools is very peaceful.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.2978856,-3.7812479,3a,75y,61.77h,92.3t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0_v1lbrTBWXujM-GjS_jpQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

10 minutes ago, estwing said:

You can't camp overnight in the car park Mike but I'm sure they would excuse an American on vacation;)

Thanks Cal, guess I can just tell them " I must of taken a wrong turn off Highway 101 :icon_scratch: ".

:D

59 minutes ago, Beulah said:

........ If you want real quiet without the annoyance of 'curious' nocturnal people and associated headlights destroying night adaption, Teifi Pools is very peaceful.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.2978856,-3.7812479,3a,75y,61.77h,92.3t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s0_v1lbrTBWXujM-GjS_jpQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Thanks Beulah, my Wife and I are hoping to get away for a couple of days when the weather looks promising, and have been pondering on a destination.

Archived