SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astronomik UHC or Lumicon UHC ?

N3ptune

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Astronomik OIII passing 12nm is the CCD version : http://www.astronomik.com/en/photographic-filters/oiii-ccd-filter.html . I think the version sold as `visual` hasn't changed (http://www.astronomik.com/en/visual-filters/oiii-filter-visuell.html) .

According to the specs the Astronomik OIII-CCD 12nm passes the 496nm and 501nm OIII lines at 95% which is very good for visual and closer to the previous model of Lumicon OIII. I would go for this rather than the OIII (non CCD) version TBH.

To the OP, I prefer the DGM NPB to the Astronomik UHC I had much more in terms of improved target contrast. As far as I read, the NPB and the Lumicon UHC are very similar apart from the red bands transmitted in the NPB, which are cut off in the Lumicon UHC. Assuming this, I would go for a Lumicon UHC (or DGM NPB) rather than an Astronomik UHC.

Right now I have 1.25" (for the TV60) and 2" DGM NPB filters and 2" Lumicon OIII (previous model), and don't feel the need to have anything else. :) 

I think it's fair to say that anyone who has an older Lumicon anything filter should hang on to it for dear life! They have become collector's items now & museum-pieces. And by all indications - they're gone for keeps.

If anyone knows anyone who has tested the new versions of 'Lumicon' filters and has the transmission-graphs for these (from an independent laboratory), please do the world a big service and make these available to all seekers. The only one I know of at this point is the OIII one which I posted earlier.

Thanks all!

Dave

Archived