Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_constellations.thumb.jpg.6034fe99df7fe590f77a776877551964.jpg

hiimdoug

Newbie from Michigan

Hello from Michigan.

After a little research I bought an Orion SpaceProbe 130ST 650mm 5.1'' f/5 on Amazon as a bit of an impulse buy. My first night out was Sunday, I was able to see Mars, Jupiter, and Saturn.

Mars was a bit of a disappointment, smaller than I had expected with little detail, but Jupiter and Saturn were absolutely stunning. I could easily see the four moons of Jupiter as well as weather bands. The rings popped out beautifully on Saturn. I spent the last hour of the night, however, futilely looking for some DSO. Best part of the night, though, was the time I got to spend with my kids. My oldest son (7) had tons of great questions for me and he is thoroughly intrigued by all things cosmos right now.

Needless to say I am hooked on my new found hobby. I’ve already got on order a moon filter, 2x Barlow lens, and a carrying bag, and am looking forward to many more enjoyable nights.

• Like 2

Hi and welcome to SGL - Glad that you found us, I hope that you enjoy your time here.

Look forward to seeing you around :)

Hello and a warm welcome to the SGL. It's great if you can get the family involved.

Welcome to SGL my friend. Enjoy your time here have fun. 

Good day

Varad 

Hi and welcome. Looks like a good scope you have there - 5 inch reflectors offer a great mix of portabilty and reasonable power, and at a good price. Glad you enjoyed your first session. Mars is always a tricky customer - if you were using the supplied 10mm eyepiece for x65 then it's definitely going to appear very small. Even at higher magnifications (x150 or above) it takes time and patience to coax any detail out of Mars though. Billy.

Welcome.

Seems certain you're going to have lots of fun ... and that's what it's all about.

It's an added bonus if your kids come along with you on the ride.

Doug (hope my assumption is correct!) - 

A great start.  

Mars can be a bit disappointing.  Next time you see Saturn, you might be able to see one or two moons.

With practice and patience, you should soon be able to spot some DSOs.  The planetarium software Stellarium can help with this, as can printed publications like a Sky Atlas, or Turn Left At Orion.

Have fun!

Doug.

Hello and welcome to SGL a good time to start so you can learn a bit before the nights will start to draw in very soon get darker much earlier which means we have more time to enjoy the bits and bobsvup there. 

Hi and welcome to the forum

Clear skies

Hi, welcome to SGL. From your report you are certainly gaining much pleasure from your new scope, long may you continue to do so, enjoy the forum :)

Welcome aboard...I am new here at SGL myself and found it a wonderful place filled with great people and all the info nessesary to enable you and yours in your new found hobby...Clear/Nights and Great/Sights !

Greetings, Doug(?), and welcome to SGL - it's nice to have you aboard!

We love helping to find answers to any/all astro-related questions, so no need to be shy!

Clear & dark skies,

Dave

Hi and welcome aboard. :smile: