Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_2019_sp_banner.thumb.jpg.a0ff260c05b90dead5c594e9b4ee9fd0.jpg

stevebb

QHY8 vs QHY8L is there a difference

After seeing some absolutely incredible widefield and through telescope results from a good friend in Brazil using the QHY8L this is the logical upgrade I have been considering from a modded Canon 450D.

Now I do know a few SGL members have the QHY8L and I have recently seen a QHY8 for sale.

Comparing the QHY8 against the QHY8L, the imaging capabilities "appear" similar, I appreciate the physical design is different. But aside from the latter, are there any other differences that would say put the QHY8L at a level above the 8 ?

Searching for images of the QHY8, they are few and far between and to be honest, I have not seen any that match ones I have already seen taken with the QHY8L. Now I know the skill in bringing out the image is arguably the most important aspect on the final result but I do need to be certain I am making the right decision regarding the capabilities of the camera ..... or "Bank of wife" will kill me, again  ;)

Many thanks in advance,

Kind regards,
Steve

They seem to have the same chip, which is of course the key component. The smaller housing of the QHY8L makes suitable for use in Hyperstar set-ups, but  am not sure what other advantages it may have

• Like 1

On 7/5/2016 at 09:48, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

They seem to have the same chip, which is of course the key component. The smaller housing of the QHY8L makes suitable for use in Hyperstar set-ups, but  am not sure what other advantages it may have

QHY currently sell the QHY8L & the QHY8 Pro (the Pro version previously was just called the QHY8).  They actually have different chips, see the details half way down this page: http://qhyccd.com/QHY8L.html 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, r3i said:

QHY currently sell the QHY8L & the QHY8 Pro (the Pro version previously was just called the QHY8).  They actually have different chips, see the details half way down this page: http://qhyccd.com/QHY8L.html 

Actually the QHY8 and the QHY8 Pro are two different cameras. The QHY build is similar in design to the QHY9 and the QHY8 Pro is similar in design to the QHY8L. The QHY8L uses the Sony ICX 413AQ chip. The QHY8 Pro uses the ICX 453AQ chip. The QHY8 Pro has better cooling control over the QHY8.

Steve

• Like 2

I am proud owner of a qhy8 since 24 hours. The qhy8 has peltier cooling down to 45c below ambient but no temp sensor, its supposed to be cooling at max rate. Newer and more expensiveunits have a temp sensor and can therefore be cooled to a specific, defined temp..

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By tooth_dr
      I scrapped all the Oiii and Sii data I previously took during a full moon (about 15 hours worth) and retook it all when the moon was a bit smaller at 76%.  Ha was taken during 98% and 67% moon.  All the lights were taken on the following nights: 12th, 19th and 20th September 2019.
      Integration times, all in 600s subs unbinned:
      Ha = 28.33 hours
      Oiii= = 5.67 hours
      Sii = 5.67 hours

The Ha data is really nice, and unsurprisingly the Oiii and Sii is not as strong (or nice).
      I'm missing that (vital) step in my processing routine of getting the Sii and Oiii properly stretched to match the Ha, before combining.  I dont really know how to deal with the weaker data properly.  Any pointers would be appreciated.
      What I do currently:
      All the data is loaded into APP into separate channels/sessions.
      The data is stacked and registered against the best Ha sub
      This produces individual stacks of Ha, Sii and Oiii that are all registered
      Each channel is processed with DPP in APP and then saved as a 16bit TIFF
      Each is opened in PS
      Stars removed with AA and any remnants removed and tidied up
      I then open a blank RGB document in PS
      I paste Ha into Green, Sii into Red and Oiii into Blue
      Adjust the selective colour settings to get 'Hubble palette'
      Adjust levels, curves, saturation until looks ok
      All the Ha Sii Oiii data is then combined together in a single 'super' stack in APP using quality weighted algorithm to create a 'luminance'
      That luminance layer is adjusted using levels, curves, and NC tools such as local contrast enhancement and deep space noise reduction (using masks to apply as required)
      The luminance is pasted onto the above colour layer, and incrementally added using gaussian blur
      Cropped and saved.

Here it is anyway   I haven't intended on any more exposure time for this one, but will consider it, if the expert opinion dictates otherwise!

CS
      Adam

• By LR Watanabe
      Okay, I'll try to make this as short as possible. 
      Info: I have a EQ5 mount (soon to become motorised and GOTO'd) and, after reading countless astrophotographers praise the QHY PoleMaster, I thought it'd be a good idea to follow in their footsteps and buy myself a PoleMaster. 
      I saw nothing about the PoleMaster supporting the EQ5, so I thought I'd ask whether or not the PoleMaster would make my life easier by supporting the EQ5.

Clear skies,
      Leon.
    • By Yogesh
      Hi 
      I am looking for the QHY Polemaster for doing polar alignment. If you have one and no longer need it please send me a message and I will get back.

Thanks and Regards
      Yogesh
    • By hayju01
      Hi,
      having a sort out before the new season and got my eye on some new kit so need to offload some unused items.
      I have
      QHY8Pro - Sold
      Meade DSI II - Sold
      IS DFK 21au618.as colour - removed 
      IS DFK 41au02.as colour - removed 
       I’m open to sensible offers ?
      Cheers,
      Justin
      Photos added

• By coatesg
      CAMERA FOUND!

Hi all,
      I'm interested in a QHY 163M cooled mono CMOS and/or CFW2 filter wheel if anyone has one they are looking to sell on? For the FW, I'm really interested in the 7x36mm wheel version (this is the UltraSlim version so I can lens mount if needed).
      Cheers 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.