Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

QHY8 vs QHY8L is there a difference

stevebb

After seeing some absolutely incredible widefield and through telescope results from a good friend in Brazil using the QHY8L this is the logical upgrade I have been considering from a modded Canon 450D.

Now I do know a few SGL members have the QHY8L and I have recently seen a QHY8 for sale.

Comparing the QHY8 against the QHY8L, the imaging capabilities "appear" similar, I appreciate the physical design is different. But aside from the latter, are there any other differences that would say put the QHY8L at a level above the 8 ?

Searching for images of the QHY8, they are few and far between and to be honest, I have not seen any that match ones I have already seen taken with the QHY8L. Now I know the skill in bringing out the image is arguably the most important aspect on the final result but I do need to be certain I am making the right decision regarding the capabilities of the camera ..... or "Bank of wife" will kill me, again  ;)

Many thanks in advance,

Kind regards,
Steve

On 7/5/2016 at 09:48, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

They seem to have the same chip, which is of course the key component. The smaller housing of the QHY8L makes suitable for use in Hyperstar set-ups, but  am not sure what other advantages it may have

QHY currently sell the QHY8L & the QHY8 Pro (the Pro version previously was just called the QHY8).  They actually have different chips, see the details half way down this page: http://qhyccd.com/QHY8L.html 

11 minutes ago, r3i said:

QHY currently sell the QHY8L & the QHY8 Pro (the Pro version previously was just called the QHY8).  They actually have different chips, see the details half way down this page: http://qhyccd.com/QHY8L.html 

Actually the QHY8 and the QHY8 Pro are two different cameras. The QHY build is similar in design to the QHY9 and the QHY8 Pro is similar in design to the QHY8L. The QHY8L uses the Sony ICX 413AQ chip. The QHY8 Pro uses the ICX 453AQ chip. The QHY8 Pro has better cooling control over the QHY8.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

I am proud owner of a qhy8 since 24 hours. The qhy8 has peltier cooling down to 45c below ambient but no temp sensor, its supposed to be cooling at max rate. Newer and more expensiveunits have a temp sensor and can therefore be cooled to a specific, defined temp..

Archived