SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Sad news, Rest in peace Per Frejvall (perfrej)

Grinde

In happier times, we debated remote telescope control. Clearly a talented
Amateur Astronomer, with an interesting profession (see "the internet")
AND also a family man. My condolences to his family and friends. RIP.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like many others, I never knew or had contact with Per, but reading his posts was always interesting despite the fact I'm a visual observer.

Per was clearly a very knowledgeable chap, who had an extremely positive impact on many lives. I shall miss reading his posts, but that obviously pales into insignificance against the loss felt by those close to him.

My sincere condolences to his family and friends alike; such a sad loss. I shall raise a toast to him next time this wretched cloud clears!

This is very sad and unexpected news. I've always followed & read Per's posts in SGL and like many others, have been enriched by them, he was a true enthusiast and always willing to help. My thoughts are with his family & friends, he will be sorely missed by us all.

Martin

I'm a little more composed this morning and will pass on a few facts about Per so we can remember him more clearly. He was, as his fellow Swede Jessun said, clever to the point of genius. His main activity in life involved something we don't often think of in lower latitudes. He wrote software to analyse Arctic pack ice so as to be able to send ice breakers through the most promising routes. Running these ships is incredibly expensive and keeping the shipping lanes open is economically vital. Some of you will have seen his stunning pictures, posted here, of a polar bear and newly born cub taken from the ice breaker Odin on which he sometimes worked. He had also been to the north pole. In winter he'd wear a big jacket from one such expedition, a jacket bearing his surname. When I first met him he took from it a mobile phone, a great big chunky thing, which he explained had been standard issue on that trip. With a mischeivous look he took this souvenir and hurled it high into the air, letting it crash down onto the hard ground behind our house. 'Unbreakable,' he said with a grin. He said a lot of things with a grin.

He was also good on both the software and hardware sides of electronics, writing software for Baader/10 Micron and producing a new control hub for telescopes. He had a prototype with him when he was here a fortnight ago. Not only the design but the board construction was his. It will, I hope, still be going out under the Baader brand. By the way, Per had enormous rspect for Baader, the family and the firm. He liked expertise and found it aplenty chez Baader in the fields of optics, electronics and mechanical engineering.

Like many people in astronomy Per enjoyed flying and had a helicopter licence. At one time he would fly a helicopter which belonged to the boss of Fjallraven, the outdoor equipment maker. He also enjoyed boating and driving - and that brings me nicely to his endearing generosity. We both like driving but I'm for a spartan, electronics-free car while Per's attitude to IT management was 'Bring it on!' This wasn't just a theoretical discussion. He handed me the keys to his 500 bhp Phaeton W12 and said, 'Try it.' Not everybody would do that, but Per wasn't everybody.

No indeed.

Olly

Very sad news. Like many others on the forums I did not know him personally but I knew of his expertise and generosity for helping others on the forum.
He sounded like an amazing guy to know, my thoughts go out to his family and friends.

I had always hoped to meet Per at some point because I knew he would be a fascinating character to talk to, this much was obvious from a few personal emails we exchanged. He was clearly brilliant on many levels, and also he appeared to be a straight-talking driven man - always looking for new projects to pursue where he could apply his genius. We see the benefits of just a few of those in the IT support for 10-Micron mounts (ModelMaker for example, which was given freely to fellow users), and also the tiny StickStation weather station which is now sold by Baader. I'm devastated by this sad loss to the Amateur Astronomy community and he leaves behind many admiring friends - and let us not forget his many close friends and his family who will miss him even more. Per's premature loss will leave a ragged hole in many of those people's lives and my heart goes out to them.

ChrisH

I had always hoped to meet Per at some point because he made me start again in astronomy. I was (and still be) very impressed about his way of doing things and what he brought to astronomy followers.

My deepest condolences to Per's family and friends.

Michel

This's very sad news .. heartbreaking news , can't believe it .. Per was and still consider a family member to me , Indeed .. with out him I wouldn't know the success on my life hobby! I am totally shocked .. I find very hard time to accept this .. My Deepest condolences to his family and friends , I wish for his family the peace of mind .. If I can support his family by any mean I would love to do that .. Per .. I am already missing you .. will never forgot you .. ever .. rest in peace .. 

Nezar ..

When I first saw the headline I thought this is a sick joke.  Now it is I who am sick.  As a very new kid to astro photography I needed much help and received it in abundance from Per.  

I feel very much impoverished by his loss.  God bless him and rest his soul.

Gus

My most sincere condolences to his family and friends. May he RIP. I have not had the pleasure of meeting him but I have spoken to him a few times on SGL and he was always a true gentleman!

Just wish to echo what many have already said. Despite the anonymity afforded by forums I've always felt you can nonetheless sense something of a poster's personality in what they write.   While I never met him, Per certainly came across as someone I would have liked to have called a friend.  He was always positive in his advice and ready to help whoever, no matter what skill level or experience they had.  My thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Jim

I feel sad and angry about this terrible loss.

I had numerous mail exanges with Per about mount related things, but also general speaking.

Per was a smart and clever guy and still young.... this should not happens.... it is difficult to admit.

Thanks for all Per,

francois

Like many of the imagers on the site Per had generously helped me with my questions and queries - I was always struck by his clarity of thought and expression and patience.  We even shared a few emails about the Antarctic, I worked for the British Antarctic Survey in the 1990s and spent time on ice breakers and also 'down South', and had some appreciation of the work he did.  It would have been a privilege to have met him in person.

What a sad loss for his family and friends and I know that we will all miss his contributions to astronomy.  Sincerest condolences to his family.

Archived