Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_android_vs_ios_winners.thumb.jpg.803608cf7eedd5cfb31eedc3e3f357e9.jpg

uhb1966

erroneous behaviour APT <> Canon EOS 550D?

Hi all,

i am experiencing the strangest behaviour between APT and my Canon EOS 550D:

When running a plan, the software takes the pause as the exposure (not the exoposure). In the example i'm adding, I would receive 3 pictures whith 3 seconds exposure each instead of 10,20 and 30 secs exposure.

Restarts of both camera and Windows did not help.

Other functionality (like liveview) is behaving normally. Long exp. control is "virtual". Connection is via USB (only).

All help would be appreciated! (SOLVED-see below)

Bildschirmfoto 2016-07-04 um 19.56.53.png

Edited by uhb1966
SOLVED

Hm... setting the anti vibration pause to zero remoces the faulty behaviour??? Strange.

SOLVED-
 (Custom Function 8, Mirror Lockup) *must* be enabled in the camera settings prior to using the feature anti vibration pause if you are using APT with active magic lantern (a canon firmware enhancement) . The Mirror Lockup is usually managed by APT, though. But magic lantern and APT get in the way of each other.

After booting the Canon EOS 550D with magic lantern deactivated (holding set button while turning the Canon on), APT's pause function works as expected even without manual activation of the mirror lock!

Very good support from Ivo, the APT developer, at http://aptforum.com.
Registered the software right away B)

Edited by uhb1966
more info added re magic lantern

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By bottletopburly
      Having upgraded from canon 1000D to Nikon D5300  how do users of the 5300 find it for Astro I will be using with APT , and how do you take flats as I can’t use Av mode as there is nothing in tools menu to choose no lens ,  do you use in manual mode  and look at histogram ? .
    • By KevS
      This evening/morning I am having some problems getting my unmodified canon 600d to live view via apt. One hell of a palaver trying to get focused. Has any one suffered similar problems? Was working fine yesterday, tonight a bit of a disaster all round. I am running the feed for the guide camera down the same USB cable via a non powered hub, the camera works fine during the data gathering phase but no dam preview. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
      K
    • By LR Watanabe
      I’m looking to do Milky Way Astrophotography, and I’m hesitating on whether I purchase the Full Frame camera that is the 5D Mark II or the APS-C EOS 600D.
      I plan on using the Rokinon/Samyang 14mm F/2.8 wide angle lens, although I’m open to suggestions so long as said suggested lens is under 500$.
      The mount I use will be the iOptron SkyGuider Pro with the counter weight supplies in the set.
      If there is an alternative to the cameras listed above that goes for less then 400$, I’m willing to hear it.

Thanks a bundle,
      Leon
    • By Andywilliams
      Last week on august 5th we were treated to a coronal hole followed by some G1 auroral activity here in New Zealand.
      Unfortunately I live a bit too far north to capture the spectacular Auroral images.
      However, ever the optimist, I set my canon 6d with a Samyang 14mm lens up in my backyard and captured 300 or so shots (20 seconds at iso 3000) which I then sent through to lightroon timelapse.
      I'm quite pleased with the result. Definitely some colour there.

• By Wavseeker
      Ladies and gentleman, 
      Thank you for helping me in advance. 
      As a kid I've always been fascinated with the sky and what was in it. The nights sky is filled with beautiful stars and nebulae and I want to see them for myself and be amazed how insignificant we really are compared to this vast open space. So let me adress some of the key points that I want for a first scope.
      1. Around €1000
      2. Big aperture, I want to see as much as possible and as far as possible while not losing a clear image
      3. I would like to have a push to or go to system
      4. Beginner friendly
      5. Size is not a problem 
      8. I prefer reflectors since it seems they give more aperture for the money but if you know a better scope that sees more with less aperture let me know
      9. I have a Canon 550D and maybe I could use this for a bit of astrophotography. This is last on the list tho and can be scrapped if the first 3 points aren't met
      Of course build quality is very important when making my choice so keep that in mind as well.
      I'm looking forward to you guys advice. 
       Happy stargazing and clear skies! 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.