sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

erroneous behaviour APT <> Canon EOS 550D?

Hi all,

i am experiencing the strangest behaviour between APT and my Canon EOS 550D:

When running a plan, the software takes the pause as the exposure (not the exoposure). In the example i'm adding, I would receive 3 pictures whith 3 seconds exposure each instead of 10,20 and 30 secs exposure.

Restarts of both camera and Windows did not help.

Other functionality (like liveview) is behaving normally. Long exp. control is "virtual". Connection is via USB (only).

All help would be appreciated! (SOLVED-see below)

Bildschirmfoto 2016-07-04 um 19.56.53.png

Edited by uhb1966
SOLVED

SOLVED-
 (Custom Function 8, Mirror Lockup) *must* be enabled in the camera settings prior to using the feature anti vibration pause if you are using APT with active magic lantern (a canon firmware enhancement) . The Mirror Lockup is usually managed by APT, though. But magic lantern and APT get in the way of each other.

After booting the Canon EOS 550D with magic lantern deactivated (holding set button while turning the Canon on), APT's pause function works as expected even without manual activation of the mirror lock!

Very good support from Ivo, the APT developer, at http://aptforum.com.
Registered the software right away B)

Edited by uhb1966
more info added re magic lantern

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By jacko61
      After some trial and error I'm getting some very good guiding results with PHD2 now. 60mm guidescope and ASI290MM mini camera. The M42 image taken late March was 12 x 15 second exposures taken manually with my dslr / C8 and a stopwatch. Stacked in DSS and played with a bit in GIMP. On the night I couldn't get APT to register the camera - turned out to be the mini USB cable (although later trials point to the socket in the camera being a bit loose too). 
      Bought an iOPTRON iPOLAR that arrived on Friday and had a play with that which has resulted in near perfect polar alignment. 2 star alignment and an additional 2 calibration stars on my Advanced GT mount means I'm getting very accurate GOTOs now and PHD2 (through the ST4 port on the ASI camera) seems to be guiding very well.  Last night after more cable faffing I managed to get everything working together to the point where I felt confident enough to leave it running by itself for an hour and a half (45 minutes of 180 second exposures plus 3 minutes each exposure to save the file - I've since found out I shouldn't have noise reduction switched on in the camera - DOH!) so M51 is 15 x 180 second @ ISO 800 lights and 5 x 180 second darks.  A little manipulation in GIMP and I think it's come out very well. Obviously still have a lot to learn and I'm going to have to start taking much longer exposures  but I'm quite pleased with these 2 pictures. 
      Graeme.

• By tooth_dr
      I've been trying to image a couple of galaxies per night, one pre and one post flip.  On early Saturday morning at 1:30am I changed over to M82, and acquired 63 x 3 mins subs, OSC, totalling 3 hours and 9 minutes of data. 
      Camera: ZWO 2600MC at -10 deg C, gain 100, offset 50
      Telescope: Skywatcher 250PX (blue tube), 1200mm F4.7
      Mount: Mesu e200
      Guiding: ZWO OAGv2, 290MM, PHD2
      Filters: None
      Software: APT for capture, APP and PS for processing

I havent really had a chance to get much use out of this camera since I bought it in December, and I havent processed many OSC images before.  I've a bit of work to do, but still very happy with the quality of the data for just 3 hours of integration time.  I would like to add some Ha to this, but purposely didnt bother during the recent clear spell, as it was moonless nights and I gathered some broadband data on other targets instead.

CC welcome.
      Adam

• By JemC
      Hi all,
      this image is my 1st light using my recently acquired iOptron Photron RC6 ,  never used  an RC  before,  anyway after quite a bit of trial and error figuring out which adapters were required in order to achieve focus with the Canon 600d  and then getting it balanced ( quite back end heavy with the extension tubes and camera on ) it was time to put myself to the test as well as the kit.
      It ended up just being a short run . the set up consisted of :

EQ6 Pro pier mounted
      iOptron RC6
      Canon 600d (modified)
      ASIAir Pro (for the wizardry stuff)
      ASI 120mm Mini guide camera mounted to 9 x 50 finder scope

20 x 120 sec lights. or ( 40 minutes in old money )
      Calibration files were also used ( not to good effect i might add )
      Stacked in DSS with slight adjustments then transferred to Photo shop for final butchery, 
      Levels and curves adjusted and cropped slightly.
      Overall i'm quite happy with the outcome for such a short amount of data, 
      Any feedback is welcome, or any tips to help me improve with this scope  🙂
      so here it is 
      M82

• By micovn
      This is a lens that does not need an introduction, it's simply a fantastic budget lens! I've been using it for astrophotography with great results and satisfaction (see pictures). Just selling it becuase I'm upgrading to the 135mm version. Any questions please ask. Asking £160 which includes P&P to UK mainland.

• By Andreameda
      Beautiful clear night!
      Telescope: Skywatcher 10" Quattro Newtonian DSLR: Canon EOS rebel T7i

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.