SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

M31 Andromeda 135mm star adventurer

Haven't been imaging for a long while, but recently tried to re kindle the love by buying a star adventurer. Last night I set out to just test the ability of the mount so stuck the 135mm on my 40d and took test exposures (no intention of imaging atall, just wanted to see what it could do) To my amazement I was getting 150 second exposures unguided @ 135mm so ran with it and got this...(I know it's far from perfect but I am pleased with the capabilities of star adventurer) 

image.jpeg

Very nice image. I've heard some wonderful things about the staadventurer. You may even be able to push it to 4 minutes with only slight trailing I think. 

As for the image, if you can reduce the green, the stars and galaxy may show wonderful colours. 

Thanks for sharing. 

Wim

I hope you don't mind, but Itook the liberty of downloading and adjusting your image in PixInsight.

One dose of SCNR to reduce the green:

M31_160708.jpg

The blue patches in the outer arms of the galaxy are nebulae.

More data and further careful processing would reveal more detail, but you already have a wonderful image here.

8 hours ago, kendg said:

Really great image.

Actually, really really great image. Not sure why, but I'm really drawn to it.  Thanks for posting.

I'll 2nd. that! I think it's that the subtle play of light & dark accomplishes to suggest the colours, without having them jump out of a glossy magazine-style image from, say, the Hubble ST. It mose teases the eye.

You might want to submit this to a glossy astronomy-magazine though.

Dave

22 hours ago, Essex nightsky said:

Wow thanks for that guys, I don't have pixinsight but seeing the results of your edits, I may have to have a play with a trial licence 

great image! Wow! You've set the level high with the 135mm star adventurer. You can process the image with GIMP 2 which is completely free and has many of the same features! The download link:http://www.gimp.org/downloads/

1 hour ago, Essex nightsky said:

I have photoshop cs6 and am wondering if there's a process similar to the scnr that wimvb run

If you have photoshop with plugins, you should be set to go.

BTW, in your original post, you didn't write much about camera settings, number of subs, etc

You could probably decrease noise in your image by taking more subs (40+)

cheers,

4 minutes ago, wimvb said:

If you have photoshop with plugins, you should be set to go.

BTW, in your original post, you didn't write much about camera settings, number of subs, etc

You could probably decrease noise in your image by taking more subs (40+)

cheers,

Sorry... Your right, I always start my imaging planning by looking at what others have achieved and their settings, so I feel it is helpful to include settings in the post.

as this was a simple test of mounts capabilities and turned into an impromptu imaging session, I wasn't expecting great results so didn't pay as much attention to settings as I would have but if I remember correctly it was f3.5 2minute 400iso x16

If you like to revisit the target, try increasing ISO to 800 or even 1600 (depending on the noisyness of your camera at high ISO, and the amount of light pollution you have), and double or triple the number of exposures.

The more signal you gather, the easier processing will be.

Good luck,

That is a really cool combination of equipment and target :-)

I have the star adventurer and haven't had much of a chance to use it 

I took some shots of Orion in the Spring and noticed I could run it for 3-4 minutes will little trailing - which makes it a great addition to anyone's kit

Your shot of M31 has inspired me to remember to set the star adventurer up more often and experiment - Thanks!

David

Archived