Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

stargazine_ep28_banner.thumb.jpg.b94278254f44dd38f3f7ee896fe45525.jpg

As we've had a summer full of clouds here in Scotland, opportunities to get the scope out have been few and far between!  Luckily, there are a lot of lovely people out there who are happy to share their data so that others can practise their post-processing.  This is my attempt at processing Saturn (original video taken by Abhijit Juvekar, so the credit must go to him! I can't find a website to link, but he posts some fantastic images here https://www.facebook.com/groups/astrophotographers/ )  It was a lot of fun to actually get the chance to work with good data.  As I have a dobsonian, astrophotography is very frustrating to say the least!

1 frame from 1 min video vs processed image

ETA - oops, not sure why the second image is huge!

01_08_30_pipp-5.jpg

2016-07-03 (35).jpg

Edited by Nadine2704
  • Like 5

Great image, Nadine :smile:

I think you will find astro photography very challenging with your Dobsonian as you will be limited to very short exposures due to the lack of tracking. Perhaps best start with the Moon as it is so bright you can get away with very short exposures and still create great images :wink:

Good luck!

Very nice image Nadine You have certainly got the data processing down to a fine art. The second image is very like the few views I have managed here in the west of Scotland.

Edited by laudropb
  • Like 1

Great processing Nadine. Thanks for posting before and after pictures.  I was out last night taking my first look at Saturn, beautiful view but the video I took looked poor in comparison. Having seen your before though, it gives me hope I may be able to get something decent with processing. 

That's a really awesome Saturn , I've not had much luck with all the vulcanic heat and storms of late, stay the course and don't get to frustrated I'm working with one hand to do it all.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Mark 2020
      Hi guys
      Help please. Last night I purchased an old celestron c8 sct, 2000mm fl, f10 on a fork mount. The mount has no power cable so is pretty useless, but i brought it to defork the ota for planetary imaging and hopefully some small faint dso's. It was a reasonable price. Ive got a heq5 pro mount that i will be mounting it onto. The guy said it needs collimation. I know i need to mount it on a vixen dovetail but the bolt holes dont line up anywhere. Its as if someone has rotated the corrector plate housing around 120 degrees. Would it make a huge difference if i removed the housing screws and put it back so that the bolts line up, keeping the mirror and plate in the same spot on the housing bracket,  or would i have to try put everything back separately in different positions and collimate everything from scratch. The picture at the minute doesn't quite get crisp so whatever has been done needs rectifying. Can this even be done by us regular folk? Any thoughts or ideas, instructions? I feel the plate could do with a clean and the primary mirror itself. I just want it as optimum as possible. And can a hyperstar be fitted to these older versions? Im literally starting from scratch with an sct setup. Also what type of camera would suit a scope with this focal length for faint dso's, i have a gp290c for the planetary side of imaging. Sorry for the bombardment of questions. 

• By Balage
      Hi guys,
      I am a newbie on this forum, this is my first topic here but I would like to show you my recent planetary imaging results. I started to catch the planets with a dedicated planetary camera last month but never thought that a small 4" Maksutov can show such small details. The equpment I used:
      SW 102/1300 Maksutov 2.25x Q-turret Barlow lens QHY5L-II color camera EQ-3 GOTO mount All the images were taken on differend countrysides in Hungary. I hope you will like it
      Also, please share your images taken with similar OTA, I'd like to learn some tricks from others as well  

Jupiter's 15 minutes of rotation. Captured with Firecapture, processed in AS!3, Registax and WinJUPOS (2020.08.21)

Saturn, 1 hours stacked with AS!3, processed in Registax (2020.09.05)

Mars, 3 hours of rotation. Captured with Firecapture, stacked with AS!3, processed in Registax. (2020.08.22)

Mars again, 5 minutes stacked in AS!3, processed in Registax. You can see also Olympus Mons and Arsia Mons next to the terminator  (2020.09.05)

Finally, a result of a Hungarian star party where I learned how to use properly my equipment  This time I borrowed an ADC for Saturn.

• By spaceboi
      Hi there! I am seeking for advice from you good people.
      I want to create a setup for stargazing which is fully automated. Ideally every process like scope calibration, guiding, tracking, focusing and taking photos should be done through WiFi, preferably from an iPad tablet.
      Planetary imaging is the main purpose. I don't really care about deep space imaging.
      I want the whole setup to be rather cheap, small and light, at the expense of imaging quality.
      I am a total noob (used to play with an ETX-70 lots of years ago), but I really need the functionality I have described above.
      I am thinking of using the bellow components and kindly request that you correct/add to the list:
      1) AstroFi 102
      2) A ZWO camera suitable for planetary imaging (any ideas for less than or equal to $250)
      3) An auto focuser and motor drive (any ideas)
      4) Smth like an ASi air device?
      Is a guider necessary for planetary imaging, by the way?
      Do you think I am in the right path?
      I still have not been able to really comprehend  the full picture. Is what I am asking for doable?
      Thank you very much in advance!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.