GENIUS - The Biography of Richard Feynman

This book, by James Gleick, is over 400 pages of excellent description of the life, personality, and career of this gifted and inspirational physicist.  It is written against a backdrop of the development of modern physics through the early to mid-20th century, and includes of course Feynman's work on the atomic bomb.

Feynman was somewhat rebellious, unconventional, and non-conformist, and how he dealt and worked with other scientists is well explained.  He took pleasure in solving mathematical problems that other researchers were having difficulties with.

It's a highly readable account of a man with exceptional talent, and even covers such matters as his attitude towards modern education, and relationships with the opposite sex.  

Feynman himself remarked: I don't feel frightened by....... being lost in a mysterious universe without any purpose, which is the way it is as far as I can tell.  

Highly recommended!

Doug.

I read QED by Richard Feynman last year. I can not pretend I understood all of it, but It was very accessible due to the lack of equations. I do find Astrophysics a very daunting subject which Richard Feynman manages to explain Using common language and "Feynman diagrams" instead of advanced mathematics.

Archived