SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Quick Ha mosaic between clouds 03/07

Space Cowboy

First solar outing for a while despite the glorious British summer! Cloud effected this morning but turned out better than I expected. Need to get a proper tilt adapter as my home brew one is unreliable.

Coronado PST & mono QHY5L-II :

Solar mosaic 3rd July 2016.jpg

2 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Need to get a proper tilt adapter as my home brew one is unreliable.

Nice! My tilt adapter made from glued on chopped up bits of wood (below) didn't work properly till someone here advised me to make sure the tilt was exactly parallel to the long side of the sensor and it works a treat now. Just a thought. 3 degrees seems to be the perfect angle. 

Iain 

cam2.jpg

Thanks guys I use flats but they don't effect the NRs.  Some interesting tilt adapters there! I use a eyepiece wheel wedged open on one side which worked great but the tilt has moved as its not properly fixed at a set amount. Think I will spend some cash and save myself the hassle.

54 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

I take a defoccused avi of the centre of the disc with the same settings as the lights and generate the flat in as!2.

Try putting some cling film over the end of the scope instead of defocusing.

Dave

Thanks Dave the cling film option is cheaper for sure but I seem to always be imaging between passing clouds which makes every second crucial so I'm going with the adapter Charles mentions for the sake of speed and simplicity. I remember Freddie uses this adapter too and it's been pigeon holed in my mind for some time.

10 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Thanks Dave the cling film option is cheaper for sure but I seem to always be imaging between passing clouds which makes every second crucial so I'm going with the adapter Charles mentions for the sake of speed and simplicity. I remember Freddie uses this adapter too and it's been pigeon holed in my mind for some time.

Know what you mean, I keep doing just one more vid' and then it clouds over and I haven't taken any flats, it only takes a few seconds though, really no need to capture thousands of frames and no need to alter focus.

Dave

Thanks Dave that's a good point you make about not needing to change focus and it would also allow more flexibility with focal lengths as a Barlow is needed for the PST to gain focus with a tit adapter in place.

Archived