SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Juno - Jupiter Orbital Insertion (US 4th July)

Macavity

A mere enthusiast - But just noting this is due fairly soon! :)
https://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/juno/main/index.html

Had thought the mission was essentially "blind" but then
was cheered to find out about the existance of "JunoCam"!

https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/media-gallery/instruments?show=fig_562e2fa248b496f704cf3f8a&m=179

Possibilities to download image data and upload your own
effort?!? (One for the "planetary imagers" and more?) ;)
https://www.missionjuno.swri.edu/media-gallery/junocam

16 hours ago, Stub Mandrel said:

I'm hoping Juno will give some really interesting results but folks don't seem to be getting excited.

That has surprised me too, particularly after the excitement that surrounded New Horizons' flyby of Pluto last year. Let's hope that going to Jupiter hasn't become as run-of-the-mill and uninteresting to the public as the latter Apollo missions to the Moon became :sad:

Can't wait to see some pictures and read about the science experiments!!

2 hours ago, DRT said:

That has surprised me too, particularly after the excitement that surrounded New Horizons' flyby of Pluto last year. Let's hope that going to Jupiter hasn't become as run-of-the-mill and uninteresting to the public as the latter Apollo missions to the Moon became :sad:

Can't wait to see some pictures and read about the science experiments!!

I think the general public arent really that interested in the science of the missions but just like looking at the priddy pictures. Jupiter of course already has lots of priddy pics whereas Pluto was yet to be seen and of course still had a soft in the publics heart after its relegation. 

Ok I know its a long way off, but when Juno does finally take its last plunge will it be visible from earth? Or even the scars?

For that matter, would cassini make any visible impact on Saturn when it takes its final plunge, either with a visible flash or by leaving a Jupiter like scar? Have any scars been seen on Saturn??

Sorry.

What I find fascinating is that after launch it went out beyond the orbit of Mars, came back two years later, slingshotted past Earth at about 80000 mph and 300 miles distance and went off again. I know that computing the course is straightforward celestial mechanics to some but to me it's almost wizardry. p.s hope that insertion engine fires o.k.

I can't wait to see what comes back from the atmospheric studies and what that means for solar system formation etc etc. I shall be watching avidly and spreading encouragement to all non astro, science and enquiring mind types to do the same.

Also, eyes.nasa.gov, the eyes on the solar system app is showing the insertion, and handy playlist of all the video media for the mission at clicky

Not everything about my country makes me proud, but NASA certainly does. I worked for a short time on the Cassini mission and now I work for NOAA. It's good to see gov't (often maligned) accomplish something amazing.

On 03/07/2016 at 15:13, Stub Mandrel said:

I'm hoping Juno will give some really interesting results but folks don't seem to be getting excited.

I'm looking forward to some great images. I can see though why this mission hasnt appealed to the masses. Its because we (Humans) all think we know everything there is to know about the planet. We know its a gas giant, we know it has a huge storm raging on its "surface" for hundreds of years.

1 hour ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

I'm looking forward to some great images. I can see though why this mission hasnt appealed to the masses. Its because we (Humans) all think we know everything there is to know about the planet. We know its a gas giant, we know it has a huge storm raging on its "surface" for hundreds of years.

I find it quite sad, Paul. I also think it is a great example of why mankind does not yet have enough of a collective sense of responsibility to entitle us to land on and leave our mess on other worlds. We keep seeing sound bites about man going to Mars. How many days will they be there before the world loses interest and a few months later all that is left is a pile of toxic waste and a bunch of bacteria that shouldn't be there. Perhaps we should take better care of our own world rather than spoiling another one?

22 minutes ago, DRT said:

I find it quite sad, Paul. I also think it is a great example of why mankind does not yet have enough of a collective sense of responsibility to entitle us to land on and leave our mess on other worlds. We keep seeing sound bites about man going to Mars. How many days will they be there before the world loses interest and a few months later all that is left is a pile of toxic waste and a bunch of bacteria that shouldn't be there. Perhaps we should take better care of our own world rather than spoiling another one?

You can lead a horse to water but you cant make it drink. The truth is that just a tiny small % of people on this planet actually care about it and care even less about what is beyond it. I can respect that. There are a lot of things other people care about and are passionate about that i honestly never give a second thought to or about.

I think you are right though. Lets get this planet (our planet) in order before we even consider going to other planets. The Moon is already littered with man-made rubbish. Mars too. 

Wanna talk about space junk and man-made pollution in space?..............take a look at an image of just how much rubbish is orbiting our own planet.

The planet is starting to look like a Borg Sphere...or a Death Star: This is just an artists impression.

Spacedebris.jpg

"all that is left is a pile of toxic waste and a bunch of bacteria"

"truth is that just a tiny small % of people on this planet actually care about it"

Only a tiny % of people are free of having to scrape a living on/from toxic waste heaps and have the leisure time to set this world to rights, probably best not to contaminate a Juno thread like this ?

• 7 months later...

I see (via Twitter!) that NASA won't be risking the change re. a
53 day orbit to a 14 day orbit. Uncertainty re. "pressurisation"
for engine burns? They seem upbeat re. ultimate objectives! :)

Just that the closest approaches won't be every two weeks.  :happy9:
I sense the range of lattitudes IMAGED will be more limited?
And (as many of us) they will have to face budget reviews...

See for example:

https://phys.org/news/2017-02-juno-current-orbit-jupiter.html

Archived