sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

First time video and pic of Saturn

Hi guys

Well I finally managed to get some sky exposed and had a look at Saturn with the kit I bought off bigal1

A little rough but the seeing wasn't great and clouds were coming and going at a fair pace

Stacked it through registax and cleaned it up boosted color etc like I say a bit rough but as a first attempt I'm happy with it

Any thoughts and advice feedback would be welcome good or bad

Best regards Baz

00_27_43.jpg

00_27_42.jpg

00_27_41.jpg

Edited by barrie greenwood
Video to big
  • Like 1

Great first attempt Baz better than my firsts on saturn :) , there is as much a learning curve to post processing your images as there is to actually capturing them i found so once you get to grips with your software i'm sure your results will get better and better plus of course sky conditions play a big part in image quality but thats just a matter of getting out as much as you can till you get that "perfect" night .

Hi Barry, what are you using to capture this?

i actually did the same last night although not good enough to bother stacking yet :(

i know conditions are not great this time of year, but im having focusing and barlow issues with mine at the moment.

Well done

Hi mate I used sharp cap to capture and registax to stack them I git some really clear ones last night but I didn't have the tracking set up correctly so it wouldn't stack plus I'm not to familiar with registax as yet

If you are asking what scope it's a Sky-Watcher 130 p 650 focal and the camera is a converted Microsoft lifecam it's a starter setup really but as a newbie I'm only just finding my way about and already spent way more time and money than I had planned ??

I don't get tired of looking at Saturn for some reason

I had the same problem last night through my other scope which is the same scope but with a longer focal length and I've had a look at it today and the collimating was way out so I've redone it and I'm waiting for the next clear night to test

Regards Baz

More added

Try downloading PIPP and running your captured video through it first , it has a feature that centres the planet in each frame which makes stacking software's job much easier , if the object is wandering around the frame Reg can get a little flustered and throw up multiple images like this.

Alternatively try using the simpler (and these day better) program called AutoStakkert 2 for stacking and save Reg for it's Wavelets function .

Both excellent and free programs  ... https://sites.google.com/site/astropipp/

http://www.autostakkert.com/

• Like 1

Thanks for these programs I've got them now and yep they are a lot easier to use and the pipp program is great and below is a rough pic taken in a small window in the weather this week and processed through those two programs you suggested and not really familiar with any of them shows even the least experienced of us can get some sort of success

Many thanks guys

Regards Baz

best.jpg

sat2.jpg

Another photo added

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Similar Content

• By Ed Galea
      About 50 years ago, I was a keen amateur astronomer in Melbourne Australia, and I'd like to get back into astronomy and astrophotography, but boy have things changed in 50 years!  I'd like to eventually target DSO, the larger planets and the moon.  As I now live in London and suffer from Bortle 8 skies I think things will be challenging but keen to see what can be achieved.  Also, I think whatever equipment I end up investing in will also need to be reasonably portable.
      As I'm also a keen photographer, I don't mind investing in gear that can also be used for regular photography.  My plan is to start small and (rapidly) build up my equipment as my expertise and appetite for challenges grows.  So I'm thinking I'll take the following steps:
      1) Purchase a DSLR/mirrorless (full frame if possible) camera and a good zoom lens.  Play with this for a while and practice imaging and post processing.  But I'd like to be able to also use the camera on the telescope I end up purchasing (see (3)).  Also will need a good tripod but will need to be suitable for (2).
      2) purchase an equatorial mount for the rig to try out longer exposures. 
      3) Invest in a reasonable telescope and tracking mount - probably a refractor around 100mm to 120mm for the main scope.  Utilse the camera from (1).
      4) Invest in an astrocamera.    
      I know I'm asking for a lot, but I want to be able to target DSO, the larger planets and the moon.  I appreciate that to achieve this will be a challenge and a compromise (small f numbers for DSO, larger f numbers for planets) but I think this should be possible with the right combination of main scope and tracker scope and accessories.   I also need the kit to be reasonably portable.
      Right now I'm exploring options for Step 1 i.e. camera, lens and tripod.  I'm prepared to spend about UK£2000.  All ideas and comments welcome! 
    • By MarsG76
      I didn't get a chance to spend too much time hunting the best seeing conditions for planetary imaging this year, but this is the best image of Saturn that I captured this season... Captured through a 8" SCT @ f30 (Televue 3X Barlow) using a Skyris 618C CCD.
    • By SuburbanMak
      Since coming back from hols late August I’ve enjoyed a few back garden planetary sessions on Jupiter & Saturn, due to work & weather though I seem to have missed the nights of best seeing, tonight’s views however have been my best yet. 

Seeing was mostly steady and contrast seemed really good - not sure but think the proximity of the 95% moon may actually have been helping with this. 

Saturn looked super with the Cassini division easily apparent around the rings and several cloud bands visible. The shadow of the rings on the planet & vice versa were crisp at the best moments of seeing.  3 moons, 1 always & 2 with averted vision. I fetched my 15 year old son out to look who immediately said “Oh wow there’s a stripe around the rings!”. 

Jupiter showed many bands and more detail than I’ve yet seen. 2 pronounced dark areas on the upper edge of the Northern equatorial band and lots of swirls and texture in the bands visible at times.  Using a UHC filter I was able to locate the GRS and thereafter able to discern it with the more natural colours rendered by the Baader Neodymium.  Galilean moons clear with diffraction rings. 1 moon to the West and 3 East, 2 of them looking like a fairly close double star. I find the moons the best way to focus as the planet features come and go a bit with the seeing & if I’m not careful I end up twiddling the focuser all the time to no avail. 

I started the session with a Baader Mk IV zoom but was soon scurrying off inside to fetch the 18mm & 10mm Baader Classic Orthos & 2.25 Barlow which I have found to be a super planetary setup combined with the Neodymium filter which just adds a bit of punch.  

Best view was with the 18mm Barlowed to 8mm - 167x  by a squeak over the 10mm at 150x.   The Mak 127 was a great tool for the job tonight. 

Will get back to those Messiers eventually…

• By Cloudberry
      Last week I've finally got my Opticron Oregon 15x70 binoculars repaired - they've been collecting dust since March when they took a graceful fall from the tripod. So when the skies opened up yesterday night I was ready - binos on the tripod, window open, sky chart and sketch book at hand.
      And let me tell you - this was one of my best stargazing sessions. What I expected to be a quick glance at the night sky turned into a mind-blowing exploration of the outer Solar System, which until now I've only seen with naked eyes.
      I'm listing the observations below along with the sketch that I made while observing. And by the way, all the underlined words are links, with extra info. Alright, let's get going!

Jupiter
      I saw it as soon as I opened my window - it was hanging in Aquarius, appallingly bright and very physically present. Two things really struck me when looking at it "zoomed in".
      First, I saw four little white dots forming a horizonal line on both sides of Jupiter, as if piercing it. From left to right these were: Europa, Ganimede, Io and Callisto. The first two were both affected by Jupiter's brightness, Ganimede still prominent, being the biggest one of the bunch, and Europa only visible with eyes squinted. 
      And second was that Jupiter was a circle. Up until now all space objects (excluding Sun, Moon and hazy dispersed things) looked like dots to me. Even the bright-red Mars looked like a dot, but Jupiter had a white-yellowish body with an outline! I tell you, I really took my time eyeing this little 140 000km wide circle.
      Saturn
      A little to the East from Jupiter, in Capricornus, was another little dot, which to my absolute bamboozlement resolved into a disk in my binoculars. Like a little sandy-brown UFO it hung among the stars, mesmerising and enchanting. 15x magnification didn't show  me neither the moons of Saturn, nor the separated rings with their coveted Cassini division. But the joined outline of the planet with it's rings looked like what it's meant to be - a planet with rings. And I don't think I will ever forget this celestial pictogram.
      Neptune
      After checking Neptune's visual magnitude, which is 7.9, I started star-hopping left from Jupiter: σ Aqr -> Hydor -> φ Aqr -> 96 Aqr. From there I leaped to three YBS(HR) catalogue stars that were poking right into Neptune. 
      Visually, it was a simple dim dot, akin to myriads of stars that don't have a proper name. But don't get an impression that I was disappointed - I was actually stoked to see it, given that it is the furthest planet from Earth visible with my astronomical equipment. I was however surprised that it lacked colour, which I expected to be much more blue. It was instead white, with a veeeery subtle blue tinge. So subtle in fact, that I would've probably mistaken it for a star if I focused on it by chance. Still, I was happy that I have finally met my childhood's favourite planet, the big blue one. 
      Uranus
      Now this one was a real challenge.
      First, the Moon's yellow waning crescent was quite close to Uranus. It was not as bright as a full Moon, but still somewhat blinding through the binos. Second, Uranus was hanging at a low altitude, where the sky was yellow from city lights. Third, it was by then 4AM and the sun was about to peek above the horizon - it was only two weeks since summer solstice. And the cherry on the cake - noctilucent clouds were scattered all over Aries, where Uranus was located. I was also quite sleepy, but decided to give it a go nevertheless. 
      I tried star hopping eastwards from the Moon, but soon figured out it's really hard to do when you only see one star. So this idea was scrapped. Then I zoomed in on Uranus in the SkySafari app on my phone (no, they don't pay me), used the accelerometer mode to estimate the planet's position in the sky and pointed my binoculars roughly in that direction.
      And now for the good part. In-between noctilucent clouds I somehow noticed a vertical pair of stars: π Ari (below) and 40 Ari (above). They were both at least of apparent magnitude of +5 , which was well within the capability of my 70mm binos, but because of the sky brightness, the stars looked extremely dim. Nevertheless, left of these two I spotted another couple, also vertical and sitting closer to each other: ρ2 and ρ3 Ari. And finally, after getting a reference from the app, I made a leap of faith to the right and there it was - Uranus, with ο Ari sitting just right from it.
      To say I was happy to see the 7th planet would be an understatement. The planet and ο Ari have the same m of ~5.8, but Uranus stood out from the surrounding stars due to it's colder hue.
      But after the whole ordeal, I was not as much affected by the looks of Uranus, as I was by the peaceful perfection of the entire view before me.
      In dawning summer skies, covered with ethereal noctilucent clouds, all planets of the outer Solar System lay in front of me, embodying the boundary between Us and the vast Nothing of the Universe. The birds were welcoming the rising sun and I could finally go bed, feeling so at home here, next to our ☉

P.S.
      I say all planets of the outer Solar System because Pluto was also there, next to Saturn. Though it's m was +14.3, so I'll have to write about it some other time.
      P.P.S.
      That night all of the outer planets were aligned in what people call a planet parade.
      P.P.P.S
      You might have noticed the Andromeda Galaxy on my sketch. I observed it too, however the viewing conditions were entirely against anything DSO-related, so it's a topic for another write-up.😉
    • By Aneko1991
      Hi, I want a telescope and my budget is between 370$ -740$(I want something with a zoom as good as it s possible for this budget). Can you help me to chose one ?
      (buy in the EU)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.