SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astrophotography

Mercona

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Exposure looks good. You just need more and to stack them.

If you can't afford PI (which is amazing software and runs native on OSX) you could go for Nebulosity, this is much cheaper but still has native OSX support and does a great job of stacking.

Failing that DSS will work in WINE on OSX but it will be slow.  As stated earlier you shouldn't use drizzle in DSS if you are stacking full frame DSLR images, you will run out of memory.  It can work if you use the selection box tool to only stack a small area of the image though.

Yeh the trial version adds lines to any images it saves, this means that if you calibrate frames then stack them it just makes a mess.

Some people find the manual star selection a pain but I found it quite refreshing after DSS refusing to stack perfectly good images.

In my experience it sits between DSS and PI for stacking results but I found it the easiest of the three to use, PI is overwhelming until you get used to it.

Well I was hoping for a goodnight of photos. Very clear skies, just bought a digital caliper to check the distance for my focal reducer and was right at 105mm total length between sensor and reducer. Purchased a astronomik LP filter was out at my secret dark spot about an hour drive from my house. Too first picture to start getting focus set. Greenish hue, second pic greenish hue. Hmm checking things out and bam, turned on my light to get a better look and what do I find? Dew!!. So m uch dew it was dripping off everything like it just rained. Next purchase dew zapper. Lol. I did however get to try out my new phone camera capabilities. Picture below. Not too shabby for a cell phone picture leaning up against my back bumper. Lol

20160723_231115.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

OK, finally had some free time to set up in my back yard last night. I didn't use the 10" Meade and instead went with the Astro tech rc6 same f/10 but used the focal reducer on it. It would only focus when directly screwed to the camera adapter with no extension so I'm not sure what my f/stop factor was. Also used the astronomik clip on filter instead of the Meade screw on one. I had issues with my remote shutter so I only got 3-4 5min exposures of each ( Ring Nebula and Dumbbell) as you can see I have a line through the Ring Nebula (free demo of Nebulosity) What do you guys think?

13926002_10154901484012565_1312708007277258798_o.jpg

What does stretched do? I saw that option but have no clue how to use Nebulosity. Just was sort of letting it set itself then adjusting some of the color. Hoping to get more pictures this weekend. My photos hot reversed a few pictures in when my mount decided to do a 180 flip back to the object. I'm guessing for adjustments to follow it. It's practically straight up in my backyard

Archived