sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_31.thumb.jpg.b7a41d6a0fa4e315f57ea3e240acf140.jpg

Newt oi! 200pds first light - M8

I got this telescope a few days ago and had been waiting for clear sky, but last night finally gave me the couple of hours I needed. I hadnt even aligned the finder with the OTA yet so I had to take time to get that sorted out. One thing surprised me was just how sensitive to focus longer focal lengths are and how much more accurate you need to be. However its made easy by the big, bright b-mask diffaction patterns an 8" will give you - so no squinting at tiny stars :)

To be honest I could have chosen something easier in regard to the guiding (got a small bit of trailing), the atmos was a bit turbulent so my guide star was jumping about a bit in the murk. But I wanted to have a go since M8 fits the sensor perfectly at this focal length. Also its highlighted the need for a longer power cable for the Atik, I found a slight snagging at the end of the session so that may have contributed to the very slight trailing.

So far the scope has performed well, I got a good example of a stock focuser (no tweaks were required). The only issue I have is getting it in and out of the house, cumbersome would be an understatement! (but its well worth it). Due to the fleeting nature of M8, I stuck with 300s subs so I could grab a large enough stack in the space of an hour.

M8: Lagoon Nebula:

12x300 (Ha)

200pds, NEQ6, Atik  383L+

Thanks for looking! :)

27935020732_8686bd673f_k.jpg

• Like 23
  • Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I got this telescope a few days ago and had been waiting for clear sky, but last night finally gave me the couple of hours I needed. I hadnt even aligned the finder with the OTA yet so I had to take t

Rob that is an excellent astro photos for the 200PDS first outing.

Thanks Sara! It makes me think, if this is what it can do in an hour with short subs - then Im quite looking forward to when its dark enough to get a few hours worth of 900s subs 1000mm is nice w

Posted Images

1 minute ago, swag72 said:

Fantastic image Rob - Looks like you have added a fantastic focal length to your arsenal ...... Sublime mono :)

Thanks Sara! It makes me think, if this is what it can do in an hour with short subs - then Im quite looking forward to when its dark enough to get a few hours worth of 900s subs :)

1000mm is nice with the 8300 chip, samples just right (1.1" p/p), and maybe even some planetary imaging could be on the cards! It should certainly bring more of the smaller DSO's to the table too.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, johnrt said:

What an eyeful! Great advert for the 8" newt! 

Thanks John, Im looking forward to what this can do on some of the smaller galaxies early next year. I certainly wont be kicking around with nothing to image (which was usually the case when you only have short FL stuff!).

49 minutes ago, Uranium235 said:

Thanks John, Im looking forward to what this can do on some of the smaller galaxies early next year. I certainly wont be kicking around with nothing to image (which was usually the case when you only have short FL stuff!).

One of my earliest outings with the 200 PDS was M27 (approx 8arc min diameter) at 60s using Canon 70D on AVX mount. I was playing around with different exposures and ISO settings to get a feel for the best settings.

Unguided as I hadn't worked out how to do that at the time.

I've not gotten around to processing these yet.

No where near the quality of your image but you can get an idea of what the 200PDS is capable of seeing.

M27_LIGHT_60s_6400iso_20160401-03h05m40s629ms.jpg

Congrats to your newt oy! I have the f4 version... but i can't image like you :/ Just learning to use my guiding stuff :/

12x300sec at Halpha sure looks interesting :)

Edited by uhb1966
17 minutes ago, toxic said:

that is a beaut of an image Rob :thumbsup: and i think the 200pds is a great scope but then i am biased cos i have one.

Your images with it are part of the reason why I got it ;)

It will be nice to revisit some familiar targets and see how they come out @ 1000mm. But, I'll pick something higher up next time though, as ive found the guiding will need to be a bit smoother to get tighter stars. With luck I might get another go tonight or tomorrow.

• Like 1

best of luck Rob i am hoping to get out there tonight  but it won't be anything that low 

did you shorten the draw tube  i have noticed that your stars don't look like they have had a bite out of them i cut 25 mm off of mine to cure that but now i have to use extension tubes for visual :blush:

56 minutes ago, toxic said:

best of luck Rob i am hoping to get out there tonight  but it won't be anything that low 

did you shorten the draw tube  i have noticed that your stars don't look like they have had a bite out of them i cut 25 mm off of mine to cure that but now i have to use extension tubes for visual :blush:

Im using the same mod I used for the 130pds where the corrector is sunk within the drawtube, so I have to rack mine out about halfway to get focus. The 200 has the same M54 focuser thread as the 130 so it went straight on :)

Other alterations were some flocking in the most critical area (tube wall behind the secondary), and I flocked the inside of the dew shield. One other thing I have noticed about the 200 is the increased field illumination that comes from the large secondary, the flats were surprisingly uniform in regard to the vignetting pattern. But today I tweaked the primary collimation a little, so it should be spot-on next time I take it out.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Uranium235 said:

Im using the same mod I used for the 130pds where the corrector is sunk within the drawtube, so I have to rack mine out about halfway to get focus. The 200 has the same M54 focuser thread as the 130 so it went straight on :)

Other alterations were some flocking in the most critical area (tube wall behind the secondary), and I flocked the inside of the dew shield. One other thing I have noticed about the 200 is the increased field illumination that comes from the large secondary, the flats were surprisingly uniform in regard to the vignetting pattern. But today I tweaked the primary collimation a little, so it should be spot-on next time I take it out.

i haven't  flocked my tube yet what have you used to flock your tube and do you need to strip the tube completely 

1 hour ago, toxic said:

i haven't  flocked my tube yet what have you used to flock your tube and do you need to strip the tube completely 

I flocked mine using this stuff:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/misc/black-velour-telescope-flocking-material.html

The 200 has plenty of room to get your hands in if just flocking the critical area behind the secondary - just be careful not to touch the secondary with sticky side of the paper (or your hands). I used a clothes peg to keep it in a roll while applying each section (stops it from springing apart). If you want flock all of it then the whole thing would need to come apart (which I didnt really want to do).

• Like 1

Rob - I've viewed your image 3 times now, such a winning combination of OTA and CCD.  I'm sure you'll resolve the guiding and I look forward to seeing more.

Good luck with M8, too low for me.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Barry-Wilson said:

Rob - I've viewed your image 3 times now, such a winning combination of OTA and CCD.  I'm sure you'll resolve the guiding and I look forward to seeing more.

Good luck with M8, too low for me.

Thanks Barry, Ive gone around and tightened up the guidescope and various other bits today, and tonight I will point as something in a more friendly place in the sky for guiding. Im either thinking M13 (to test Lum), or swing it round to the Veil for some more Ha.... or perhaps the cocoon - and test both (gives a good starfield too). No work tomorrow either, so I can stay up a bit late :)