Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M51 the whirlpool galaxy

Astroboy239

Hi all, this data is a month old. I and my friend collected this data. Processed by me in pixinsight and Lightroom and photoshop. 20hrs luminance 15xrgb 15xh alpha. Please feel free to comment and critisize. 

Eq8, qhy5 2 autoguider 10''astrograph. Atik 314l. To photograph_sgp. 

LrMobile2606-2016-0801229898099546386~3.jpeg

7 minutes ago, symesie04 said:

Well theres plenty of detail but just a bit over processed for me, looks a little dare i say bling. Cut back a bit on the saturation and sharpening and it would look great.

I agree - the detail is amazing - I don't think I've seen those red vein like structures so pronounced before but it does seem to be at the expense of boosts in saturation. I know I can get some good detail in my shots using Pixinsight tools but they can sometimes "over process" the image if I'm not careful - great work though :-)

David

You did a great job collecting the data with lots of detail and faint dust. On my mobile device it still looks too harsh. The challenge with this image is to keep the faint detail without the bright parts exploding. Did you use masked stretch as your first stretch?

Cheers, 

Wim

I agree that the background is a little clipped, causing the fainter parts to 'jump out of nowhere.' It's a great capture though. I'd just give it a little less of everything and I think you'd get more image.

Olly

Imaging and processing is so subjective and what one person loves another will not.

I personally find this over processed. There's clearly good data in there, but it has been pushed too far for me. I think the best processed images are those that don't look processed......if that makes any sense. At the end of the day, we all learn ways and techniques, so well done for what you have achieved :)

That's much better IMO :)  I would be very hard pressed to fault it now.  There is gradation right from the background to the very centre of the galaxy - that is excellent -  well done indeed :)

I agree with some - there is some very useable data in there.  But it has been over processed.  I can see the potential of it but its too aggressive.

The details in there but the processing has been too aggressive. Putting my money where my mouth is here is a recent version i processed, note this is a crop from a wide field image that can be seen here so i am not working on same image scale as you and you most likely have more detail than me.

m51 crop.png 

Have another go and gently does it - what ever you did last time try 25% thereof, i think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Paddy

Archived