SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Adapter for Celestron nexstar 8se

Hi,

I'm new here. First time I will use telescope and take picture. I'm really confuse. I own a Panasonic FZ-200 and just bought Celestron Nexstar 8Se. What do I need to hook my camera to telescope? People talk about T-ring, T-adapter, T-mount etc. What do I need exactly and witch one will fit my camera?

I guest I will learn later all about that but for now it's totally new for me.

Thanks

you need to connect the camera to the back side of the telescope. For that, you need 1) T-Ring to attach to the camera body by removing the lens. and 2) T to 1.25 inch nosepiece which screws into the T-ring and inserts into the back side of the telescope. However, the 8SE is not suitable for imaging anything other than planets because you require a sturdy equatorial mount for long exposures. I will not confuse you further with technical details, you will learn very soon.

The Panasonic FZ-200 has a fixed zoom lens so you need a different approach to imaging. The camera's lens should have a threaded filter ring, so this will be they way you will attach the camera to an eyepiece for imaging.  If you search for "digiscoping adapters" you may find something suitable. ie digiscoping adapter

2 hours ago, astrosathya said:

you need to connect the camera to the back side of the telescope. For that, you need 1) T-Ring to attach to the camera body by removing the lens. and 2) T to 1.25 inch nosepiece which screws into the T-ring and inserts into the back side of the telescope. However, the 8SE is not suitable for imaging anything other than planets because you require a sturdy equatorial mount for long exposures. I will not confuse you further with technical details, you will learn very soon.

astrosathya Thank you for info. My camera as a 52mm thread so I will look for T-Ring for this size. I will order the Celestron Wedge for long exposure. :)

Cheers

1 hour ago, Cornelius Varley said:

The Panasonic FZ-200 has a fixed zoom lens so you need a different approach to imaging. The camera's lens should have a threaded filter ring, so this will be they way you will attach the camera to an eyepiece for imaging.  If you search for "digiscoping adapters" you may find something suitable. ie digiscoping adapter

Cornelius Varley,  Thank for the link :)

16 minutes ago, Seb_ said:

astrosathya Thank you for info. My camera as a 52mm thread so I will look for T-Ring for this seize. I will order the Celestron Wedge for long exposer. :)

Cheers

Hi, The celestron wedge will be a waste of money. 1) The tripod legs of the 8SE are too thin. For example, have a look at the Celestron C8 Schmidt cassegrain (essentially an 8SE telescope) on the AVX mount. The tripod legs of the mount are built to take that weight. 2) There is no way in which you can accurately polar align the wedge 3) Even if you manage 1 & 2, the DSLR will most likely bump into the base of the 8SE when imaging towards north. Best thing i'd say is to sell off the Nexstar mount only for a nice sum and get an AVX mount or even better an Orion Sirius EQ mount or Sky-Watcher HEQ5 mount. You scope will directly fit onto these mounts without any modifications.

I wouldn't bother buying a wedge for your mount at this stage. The FZ-200 has limited long exposure capabilities (60 sec max) and you will only be able to image through an eyepiece (afocal imaging) so DSO imaging will be difficult. For lunar and planetary imaging you will be able image with short exposures or video so a wedge will not be needed.

Astrosathya, Cornelius Varley : Thank you for your suggestion and honest advice. You guys just save me money :) As my first Telescope, I will concentrated to enjoy the sky and learn the basic of Astronomy. I didn't know that the mount was so important. It's look like a good mount is even more expensive that the telescope itself.

Archived