Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

oacapture 1.0.0

JamesF

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You should be able to change the vertical size now, though perhaps if you've moved the controls to the right they're effectively setting the minimum size for the window.

You can also split the controls into an entirely separate window which might help.

James

Thanks James :)  I've moved the controls back to the top but separate windows may be better.  I guess it would be better with a 4K telly as a display rather than HD. :D

I've tried the RPi 3 and kit out in the observatory on the powered ASI1600MM-Cool and the cooling is working fine :)  There is also sufficient WiFi signal strength :)  For tonight though I shall be using it for my ASC.  Going to have one last go at capturing DSO images with Win7 in the hope that it will keep going.  Several clear sky hours forecast for tonight :)

I had problems with oacapture not responding last night and gave up.  The dew was very heavy too so I need a heated dome and will get that sorted out before trying another night run.

I ran it and connected to the ASI178MM after dark last night.  Once or twice it showed the preview screen with a black image other times nothing and no camera controls specific to this camera - as if it hadn't connected to the camera.  I'll try it again shortly in daylight and if it works maybe leave it running until after dark. 

I have other software not respond while capturing an image to preview, then respond and display the image once it's got it.  Why software should not respond to menus etc. while imaging I don't know.  I can only think that it's just running a loop and not allowing interrupts.  But even that doesn't make sense.  Surely the software tells the camera to take an image and respond when it's finished.  The processor can be doing other things such as checking for user input in the meantime.

Just done that and when I put the cover on with it running it continues but when I start oacapture with the lens covered and then choose the camera nothing works.  It's been going for over 2m now and no change.  The processor is running at 25% so it's doing something.

Hmmm.  I can't see that's likely to be oacapture itself, though perhaps the ZWO drivers do something odd if the image is very dark.  Are you running with auto exposure enabled?

James

Killed oacapture and restarted it but this time I turned off Preview before selecting the camera and it's still responding to menus and processor is showing 0%.  Turned Preview back on and control panel went back to normal but no picture.  The camera settings work and I was able to choose auto gain and exposure.  Still no picture.

3 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Hmmm.  I can't see that's likely to be oacapture itself, though perhaps the ZWO drivers do something odd if the image is very dark.  Are you running with auto exposure enabled?

James

Option not available until camera selected then nothing responds if Preview is on but does if Preview turned off before camera selection as above.

It sounds a bit like the trouble I was having when trying to go over 1 second exposures.  I found rebooting would sort it out but then if I went over 1s again it would be dead to me again.  Then after installing indi & kstars the problem went away.

That's interesting...  I have been experimenting with reducing the light level gradually - down and back up to check response and I found it worked fine until I got to 2 or 3 seconds and then it stops responding.  That's just what you found.  I wonder why Indi and kstars cured it.  I wasn't planning on using those for my all sky cam but it that cures the problem then I will.  I shall need to arrange remote control and data transfer anyway so I guess Indi would be the answer.  I presume you installed indi on the camera RPi and kstars on your client computer.

Well I already have kstars on my Mac but I installed the full indi and kstars on my RPi3 as well as I wanted to be able to get local capture working.  I didn't really expect it to make oaCapture work as well but it did.

The RPi3 runs kstars ok but it is quite cumbersome to capture with it so I'm glad oaCapture is working as it is much simpler to use.

Hi James

I've got a rebadged Toupcam (Prostar) http://www.astroshop.com.au/products/details.asp?id=MAS-025B

So far I've been unable to get it to work in any way on Linux (Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit). I see in oacapture that there are different libraries for the Toupcam and Altair (which looks like a similar rebadge) so would I need a different one again for the Prostar? Device id is 0547:b134

10 hours ago, kens said:

Hi James

I've got a rebadged Toupcam (Prostar) http://www.astroshop.com.au/products/details.asp?id=MAS-025B

So far I've been unable to get it to work in any way on Linux (Ubuntu 16.04 64 bit). I see in oacapture that there are different libraries for the Toupcam and Altair (which looks like a similar rebadge) so would I need a different one again for the Prostar? Device id is 0547:b134

It looks like that might work using the Altair version of the library.  Certainly it's the same ID as has been used for one of the Altair cameras.

I wasn't aware of the Prostar range.  Is it a brand specific to that vendor?

James

13 hours ago, JamesF said:

It looks like that might work using the Altair version of the library.  Certainly it's the same ID as has been used for one of the Altair cameras.

I wasn't aware of the Prostar range.  Is it a brand specific to that vendor?

James

Yes it is. I'll try the Altair library and let you know how I get on

Touplite probably won't recognise the camera.  As far as I can see the toupcam libraries don't recognise the USB VID/PID used for this camera.

You won't get a /dev/videoN device at all though.  The drivers are userspace rather than in the kernel and completely sidestep the whole V4L2 subsystem.

The only think I can think of at the moment is that perhaps you have a permissions issue.  If you have installed the udev files and either restarted udev or rebooted, and added yourself to the "users" group and logged in again then I'd have thought it should work.  Perhaps the shared library is not being found.  If you can confirm that you've done the first two then we can work on checking that.

James

Archived