SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

oacapture 1.0.0

JamesF

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, JamesF said:

That should work already, too

And it does, however there are a few additional record types that could be added. More on that later, except to note that including EXPTIME would be a simple, obvious enhancement. It might even help prevent someone from inadvertently deleting all of the DATE-OBS records from a series of FITS images showing an asteroidal occultation because he had a bug in his post-processing script. Not that I've done such a thing.

This week.

13 minutes ago, MCinAZ said:

And it does, however there are a few additional record types that could be added. More on that later, except to note that including EXPTIME would be a simple, obvious enhancement. It might even help prevent someone from inadvertently deleting all of the DATE-OBS records from a series of FITS images showing an asteroidal occultation because he had a bug in his post-processing script. Not that I've done such a thing.

This week.

:D

Suggestion noted.  I'll add EXPTIME for this release.  I will go through your other emails again this evening too.  Still need to work out where and how that off-by-one frame counting error is occurring with the timestamps.

James

On 10/24/2016 at 18:21, JamesF said:

One of the things I have on my list of stuff to look at for the next release is how AppImage deals with stuff that is (in the case of oacapture) handled by udev rules.  Did you get anywhere with that?

James

Good point.

I only tested it on Arch Linux where I had the udev rules already installed from my first attempt to build oaCapture there. So, yes, it would still be required to install the udev rules manually. Apart from that it seems to work.

Guido

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/10/2016 at 17:51, JamesF said:

I'm a little confused by this one, I have to admit :)

Are the details being added to some final processed image, or are they added to every frame of the output data stream?

James

I was away for a while so I just saw your comment today. There is a framing addon in Firecapture that lets you create the frame around the final image and embed session details in a nicely formated way. I don't know the inner workings of this feature but I find it to be a nice touch.

• 2 weeks later...
On 07/10/2016 at 10:46, SteveBz said:

The only thing I'd like to do is turn off automatic noise reduction and brightness correction - I think stars may be noise!  And I don't know whether v4l2 has such a switch (I can't see it) or whether it's a soldering-iron job :smiley:.  I hope not.

Returning to this now I've been working on the next release for a while, it appears there's no V4L2 control for noise reduction.  The SPC900 can do it, but the control is fudged in.  It should be possible to turn an automatic brightness control on and off though, assuming the driver for your camera exposes it to the V4L2 layer.  In Settings->Camera you should find all the controls available, not just the ones that looked useful for imaging.  If it isn't there then I guess the control isn't available in the kernel driver for that camera.

James

9 hours ago, Davey-T said:

Still only runs at a snails pace on El Capitan, drops to 1 fps with Skyris274 mono, used to work fine on Yosemite.

Now have to use Bootcamp and Firecapture.

Dave

I think this is related to the USB subsystem changes in El Capitan.  The new release of libusb has now been made and I will be using that for the next release of oacapture so I hope it will improve things.  I've also updated the UVC interface library that is used for the Skyris cameras.

James

On 04/07/2016 at 01:55, rpineau said:

Unfortunately this version no longer works for me (OS X + ZWO ASI174MC).

Your previous 1.0.0 beta you sent me was working better.

If I chose ZWOASI I get 95 fps but no actual preview no matter what exposure time I chose (so even with 1000 ms it says 95 FPS).

If I chose ZWOASI2 I get  different amount of FPS with is always above the Max FPS (should not be possible) and garbled data in the preview.

Rodolphe

With my current development version I can no longer reproduce this problem using the ZWOASI interface, so hopefully I have it licked there.

There appears to be a different problem altogether with the ZWOASI2 interface, but I'm going to work on that later.

James

Oh, I should add that's with the mono version of the camera -- I don't have the colour model.

It does rely on the exposure being set in the first place though.  When the camera is connected the application can't rely on being able to read the actual setting in the camera and adjust the slider appropriately because not all drivers support that, so it's possible that the sliders and camera may have different settings immediately after connection.  I have some ideas about handling that more nicely.

James

On 04/08/2016 at 21:44, D4N said:

Is there a reason why tiff format is disabled when I turn on 16 bit mode?

Using oacapture 1.0.0 with asi178mc on OSX 10.10.5.

This certainly looks ok to me now.  With a colour camera I do get a TIFF option in the drop-down.  The one requirement is that you must enable demosaic for the output data in "Settings->Demosaic" and then make sure it is on with "Options->Demosaic".  This is because I can't find any documentation on storing raw colour in data TIFF files.

James

On 19/08/2016 at 12:35, Davey-T said:

Hi James, only just got round to trying the latest version today and notice max' available frame rate using the Skyris 274M has droppedfrom 20 to 15 and if I increase the exposure time it drops to 1fps.

Also 16bit button is greyed out ?

I think I have resolved the first part of this issue now.  Certainly with my current development version I still see a 20fps frame rate which appears to be sustained happily.

As regards the 16-bit issue, that appears to be down to the lack of support for 16-bit greyscale frames in oacapture's UVC interface library.  I'm working on fixing that at the moment.

James

19 hours ago, vendinleciel said:

Hello

Oacapture is a great software

I have installed Oacapture 1.0 on raspberry pi, it's OK but can it support Toupcam GCMOS01200KPB? Does somebody try it? From North of France .

I believe that camera should work on 64-bit intel Linux and OSX, but the driver is closed-source and for the moment there's no version available for ARM as far as I'm aware.

James

On 21/11/2016 at 18:50, JamesF said:

As regards the 16-bit issue, that appears to be down to the lack of support for 16-bit greyscale frames in oacapture's UVC interface library.  I'm working on fixing that at the moment.

Looks like 16-bit mono should work for the UVC Skyris cameras in the next release.  My testing gives me an output file (I used SER rather than AVI as support for 16-bit mono AVI seems a little unreliable) that Chris's ser_player correctly identifies as 16-bit mono, so I think we're good.

I will try to find out if the colour Skyris models need similar support.

James

Looks like the colour models might do 8-bit colour, 8-bit mono and 16-bit mono.  I can't see any way to get 16-bit colour out of them.  I'll see if Celestron can help, though looking at their software I suspect it may not be possible.

James

On 23/08/2016 at 22:10, D4N said:

I am having trouble with setting exposure times.  I was having this problem in OSX and Linux but after updating my MBP to El-Capitan (which involved a complete wipe and then recover from time machine so wasn't much fun) it seems to be working fine in OSX.

The problem seems to be that when I try to go over 999ms exposure time it starts dropping frames a lot.

If I take a sequence of 3 x 999ms frames it will take 3 seconds, if I take a sequence of 3 x 1000ms frames it takes 42 seconds. A sequence of 3 x 2000ms frames takes about two minutes.

Based on my testing on Linux and OSX I think I now have this problem sorted in the next release.

James

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/08/2016 at 11:14, Gina said:

I would like to see the gain and exposure displayed when in auto mode.  I've found it very interesting to know these when running SharpCap.

A minor point - the dropdown box showing the image resolution isn't quite long enough to show the resolution when in the form HHHHxVVVV ie. 4 digits in each direction.

Gina, do you know which distribution you were using that resulted in the resolution dropdown being too small?  I'm struggling to reproduce this one.

James

• 1 month later...

Dear James.

I found a strange behaviour with oacapture and my new cam: ZWO ASI224MC. Indeed, normally, the bayer pattern should be GRBG. So I've set this parameter in the settings box because "Auto" seems not working properly.

So now, when I switch between Raw Mode and debayer Mode in the front panel, I see a good preview with good colors.

The problem is when I open the SER file with Siril or Ser Player, I need to open the file in RGGB to get right demosaincing ....
Here a example: https://free-astro.org/download/oaCapture-20170110-205103.ser

Is there something I do not understand ?

My best regards,

Cyril

• 1 month later...

I just recently got my NexImage 5 sorted out.  I had uploaded a grayscale firmware.  With that firmware, oacapture worked fine (although a bayered gray image).

Now that I have corrected the firmware issue, I get "libusb_open for EUVC camera failed" when starting oacapture from the command line.  The camera works in webcamoid without any issues.  To load it in guvcview, I use "guvcview -d /dev/video1 -a none -f GRBG, but it gives messages of "V4L2_CORE: (UVCIOC_CTRL_MAP) Error: No such file or directory".

I'm running oacapture using oacapture-1.0.0-ubuntu-16.04-64-bit.tar.bz2 on debian sid (64-bit).  Any suggestions?

Thanks -- Richard

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,  I just wanted to mention that after getting appropriate -devel packages installed on Fedora 25, I then had to also run

autoreconf -fvi

I also had to add -fPIC to the CXXFLAGS in a couple makefiles.

I was then able to make, else I would get libtool version errors.

Archived