SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

oacapture 1.0.0

JamesF

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been trying to get my Skyris 236c to work with this program
I'm using a Macbook Pro 2012 model with El Capitan installed

Oacapture can find the camera but when I select it, no preview shows up and you cannot record anything and it will freeze upon capture
Any ideas before I return this as Celestron said it was Mac compatible. Thanks.

11 hours ago, JKSurfer said:

Does Celestron provide or suggest Mac-compatible software for the camera? If so, you might test the camera using a different package to determine if it is working correctly or not. You might also see if there are any V4L (video for Linux) packages which work on your system and try one of those. I've tested an older Imaging Source USB camera under Debian Linux and it worked right out of the box.

The goal is to determine if the camera itself is working properly or has some defect. If it works with other software, there may be some changes needed in James's code to properly support it using oaCapture. Unfortunately, it seems that many camera models have peculiarities which require different handling. If James doesn't have a particular model on hand, it can be quite difficult to work all of the bugs out of the system.

-- Mike --

Hi,

Is there any way on the configure script to disable all the external libraries included?

I don't run Ubuntu, but Arch Linux, which has fairly more updated libraries, and the build keeps failing complaining about the wrong automake version

Thanks

Marco

I was trying to build on Fedora 23 and also had similar errors. I did some investigating, tried make maintainer-clean, autoreconf --force --install etc., but didn't succeed. One of suggestions found online was that perhaps some autotools-related files specific to author's system were erroneously included with sources.

23 hours ago, Gina said:

Hi James, any joy yet with a Linux build?

Yes, I'm getting there.  I hope to have most of it sorted this weekend.

In that way you never quite envisage it happening, life has left me very little time recently.  The swimming club where my children swim has been short of coaches in the last month due to events that couldn't really be planned for and is really in need of a few more to ease the load on everyone else particularly during peak summer holiday season, so I've volunteered to train as a coach and have been helping out poolside pretty much every other day for the last two weeks.  It's only when you do it you realise quite how much the coaches (voluntarily) commit.  I stopped work this evening, got the children into the car, went to the pool, came home several hours later and ate and that's been my evening so far :)  Not that I mind at all I have to say.  It's actually really enjoyable to go and work with a group of children who are really up for what they're doing.

Anyhow, this weekend my evenings are my own, so I shall be getting on with oacapture :)

James

16 hours ago, JKSurfer said:

Oacapture can find the camera but when I select it, no preview shows up and you cannot record anything and it will freeze upon capture

I don't have the 236C, but I do have another Skyris colour camera so I'll check that works.  I'm sure I did test it but it will do no harm to make sure.  I also have a contact at Celestron I can ask about this particular model to see if there's anything different about it.

There have been USB problems with El Capitan before the most recent release (of both oacapture and El Capitan), but I believe pretty much all the issues I know about are resolved with the latest version of oacapture and OSX 10.11.5.

Could you get a screengrab of what the OS shows for the camera in the USB section of the System Report (under About This Mac)?

Thanks,

James

3 hours ago, GuLinux said:

Hi,

Is there any way on the configure script to disable all the external libraries included?

I don't run Ubuntu, but Arch Linux, which has fairly more updated libraries, and the build keeps failing complaining about the wrong automake version

Thanks

Marco

Yes, that's an irritating "feature" I'd not planned on.  If you untar the sources and then at the top level do:

$ touch ext/libdc1394/Makefile.in
$ sleep 5
$ touch ext/libdc1394/Makefile

That might help with the build.

There's no way at the moment to build entirely against system libraries I'm afraid.  Some of the required library changes haven't actually been formally released as a new version yet as far as I'm aware, so you may well still run into problems.

James

14 minutes ago, JamesF said:

Yes, I'm getting there.  I hope to have most of it sorted this weekend.

In that way you never quite envisage it happening, life has left me very little time recently.  The swimming club where my children swim has been short of coaches in the last month due to events that couldn't really be planned for and is really in need of a few more to ease the load on everyone else particularly during peak summer holiday season, so I've volunteered to train as a coach and have been helping out poolside pretty much every other day for the last two weeks.  It's only when you do it you realise quite how much the coaches (voluntarily) commit.  I stopped work this evening, got the children into the car, went to the pool, came home several hours later and ate and that's been my evening so far :)  Not that I mind at all I have to say.  It's actually really enjoyable to go and work with a group of children who are really up for what they're doing.

Anyhow, this weekend my evenings are my own, so I shall be getting on with oacapture :)

James

Thank you James :)  I appreciate your efforts.  I guessed you had probably been side tracked by "real life".  Well done for helping out with coaching the children - I'm sure that must be very rewarding :)

I've been able to compile it on my distribution. Posting here the steps, it might help.

As usual, untar the source archive

tar xf oacapture-1.0.0.tar.bz2

If you have Qt5, and it's compiled with certain flags, you might need to compile oacapture with -fPIC (you'll see if you need this fix because of many error messages claiming -fPIC)

export CXXFLAGS=-fPIC

Regenerate autoconf files in libusb, liblibdc1394 and oacapture:

cd ext/libusb/
autoreconf --force --install
cd ../libdc1394/
cd ../../

If you also want to compile against Qt5, you also need to apply the attached patch:

patch -p1 < ../oacapture-qt5.diff

Now just run configure and make as usual.

In my case, it wasn't very stable, actually, but I need to investigate further, it might be something else in my distribution interfering.

oacapture-qt5.diff

Oh, yes.  I'm close to having a build against Qt5 work, but it's a real pain to take that last step.  Some, but not all, distros have the Qt5 libraries built using "-fPIC".  If they do then oacapture has to follow suit otherwise there are fatal errors in the build.  But actually working out if the libraries have been built that way is non-trivial and I don't have it nicely incorporated into the build system yet.

James

21 hours ago, JKSurfer said:

Celestron states the 236c is Mac compatible, but they only supply ICap software, and the link you to Oacapture as the Mac software. Here's the screen shot, thanks for the help guys.

Thank you for that.  It looks very similar to what I get with the 132C.  That works quite happily with v1.0.0 on OSX 10.11.5.  I'm just upgrading to 10.11.6 now to see what happens.

James

I have downloaded the Raspbian version ready for when I get the Pi 3 B working which will be a few days yet.  Meanwhile, could you tell me what the maximum exposure is, please?  And does it do auto-exposure and auto-gain for the ZWO ASI series of cameras?

5 hours ago, JKSurfer said:

it might be the camera itself I tried using it on a laptop with windows 7 and the camera won't deliver any images to the laptop.

That does sound like it might be a problem with the camera then.  It really ought to work on Windows.

James

6 hours ago, Gina said:

I have downloaded the Raspbian version ready for when I get the Pi 3 B working which will be a few days yet.  Meanwhile, could you tell me what the maximum exposure is, please?  And does it do auto-exposure and auto-gain for the ZWO ASI series of cameras?

Maximum exposure should be whatever the camera says it is, and whilst the auto-exposure and auto-gain controls will probably be turned off by default, they can be turned back on again.

James

Thank you James - sounds good :)  In AMCap, which is a Windows app, I'm currently using 60s maximum auto-exposure.  I'm hoping I can do the same in oacapture and RPi 3 Model B running Raspbian.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi James,

I have built oacapture-1.0.0 in Ubuntu mate on my pi3 and it runs fine but when I connect to my asi178mc the application stops responding.

The OS still responds fine and CPU usage is around 40%.  I have to either force quite or xkill to close oacapture.

Any ideas on what might be wrong?

I'll try with Raspian and the same camera when I get a chance.

Archived