sgl_imaging_challenge_2021_annual.thumb.jpg.3fc34f695a81b16210333189a3162ac7.jpg

Nikon D7200 clip-in filters

DarkKnight

Hi,

I've recently acquired a Nikon D7200, mainly for the lack of an OLPF and reasonably good high ISO capability.

As I live in an area with moderate light pollution I'd like to get a clip-in LPF as my 14mm lens has no front filter thread. Now these are available for the D7000/D7100 but no specific mention is made of suitability for the D7200, possibly due only to websites not being updated. I've tried to get confirmation from two manufacturers with no reply, and the sellers I've contacted could only come up with 'Should fit'. :confused2:

I strongly suspect that the sensors are the same Toshiba unit although Nikon state the D7200 has 24.2MP's and EXPEED 4 image processing and the D7100 24.1MP's and EXPEED 3 processor, just enough difference  to create a niggling doubt in my mind.

Anyone done this mod?

Edited by DarkKnight

• 2 weeks later...

just been reading up about lpf's and it seems with the high density of pixels on the D7200 this filter would be surplus to requirement, I have copied a link for google "nikon clip-in LPF" and am quoting from " www.techradar.com/...video.../non-low-pass-filters "  hope this might clarify your concern and maybe save you a few quid,  I also have the D7200 and bought it for astrophotography, havent had it very long so i am not up to speed with it yet, big learning curve after my old Olympus's, good luck and maybe someone else can offer you more helpful advise, Lum Essex UK

• Like 1

Cheers Tony.

I eventually got confirmation from Nikon that the D7200 shared the same filter and light-box as the D7100 and as a result I went ahead and ordered the Optolong UHC Cilp-in filter.

Should arrive this week so I will post some pics with and without it.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 7/19/2016 at 21:18, DarkKnight said:

Cheers Tony.

I eventually got confirmation from Nikon that the D7200 shared the same filter and light-box as the D7100 and as a result I went ahead and ordered the Optolong UHC Cilp-in filter.

Should arrive this week so I will post some pics with and without it.

one darkknight to another :p any luck with clip-in filter on d7200   @DarkKnight ? i am planning of getting one if they worked.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Sorry for the very late reply.

The filter arrived with no fitting instructions whatsoever and no help from either the seller or the manufacturer. Fitting it is in no way intuitive and as i didn't want to risk damaging the sensor on a new camera I didn't try. As I'm now changing to a Full Frame D610 I will probably sell it.