Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

CGEM Mount below latitude range... what to do?

guillespiers

Hi everyone!

I´m upgrading my gear to a Celestron CGEM equatorial mount. I´m sure many people here would say it´s a great mount! :D

I have a problem related to Lima-Peru´s city latitude, which is below the mount´s latitude range (which is 15° - 70°). Lima city is at 12° latitude, any ideas on how to reach them with this mount?

I read about this two alternatives:

1. Extending one of the tripod´s legs to tilt the mount a little bit, adding some weights on the other 2 tripod legs to avoid the telescope to fall...

2. Buying a wedge, which have 0° - 90° latitude range, and place the equatorial mount over it.

What do you think?

Thanks! :D

I think option one would be fine. You are only a few degrees outside the range, so will only need a small tilt on the tripod. Do make sure you extend the legs as wide as you can though, and the weighting idea makes sense to avoid any tipping.

8 hours ago, Stu said:

only a few degrees outside the range, so will only need a small tilt on the tripod. Do make sure you extend the legs as wide as you can though, and the weighting idea makes sense to avoid any tipping.

Thanks a lot Stu!

And it´s cheaper! :D

How can I add the weights to the mount legs? Are there any special accesories?

Thanks!

3 hours ago, guillespiers said:

Thanks a lot Stu!

And it´s cheaper! :D

How can I add the weights to the mount legs? Are there any special accesories?

Thanks!

I can't think of anything specific, but perhaps some of the ankle or wrist weights might do the trick if they can be fastened securely to the tripod legs near the bottom. Might need a couple on each leg.

I would just proceed with caution and check for stable balance as you go, and in all different scope positions before relaxing! It's only three degrees so you should be ok, but don't take anything for granted!

Archived