Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

June 29th - Large 'Smokestack' Prominence on SE Limb.

paulastro

I just noticed on GONG a large 'smokestack' prominence on the SE limb.  I  had suspected something in that position when processing my images earlier this morning.  Took another look and processed this frame (5.56 am, 1/5 sec) which does indeed show this lovely prominence.  Beware, my pic will not bear enlarging!  Though still a little wet currently, the forecast is for a brightening around 4 pm if I'm lucky when I'm hoping to get a chance for some better images.  If you have clear sky now it's well worth a look.

P6290326c.jpg

1 minute ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Interesting. The sun is peeping through the clouds, so I might get a look later. Thanks for the heads up

Thanks Michael, please post an image if you manage to get one if you can.  It sort of brightened just, I set the scope up and it started to rain heavily so it's now covered up outside.  Keeping everything crossed it clears a little.

28 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Thanks Michael, please post an image if you manage to get one if you can.  It sort of brightened just, I set the scope up and it started to rain heavily so it's now covered up outside.  Keeping everything crossed it clears a little.

Not sure I will be able to image: lots of hazy stuff above the lower clouds. We'll see

Thanks Michael, just had another attempt, rained quite heavy while I was trying to take some pics!  High gusts of wind caused problems till I had to flee indoors as the rain bucketed down.  Scope outside covered up again, but a little damp - nothing alarming though.   I did take some quick frames but can't loaiok at them yet as the camera is attached to the scope still.  Goodness knows what they are like.  I'll try again only if I see some blue that's lively to give me a reasonable chance of success as with the strong winds the conditions change in seconds.  All good fun though - I wouldn't do it if it was easy :grin:

Archived