Just bought a new telescope, and i am having trouble.

So i just bought this Zhumell Z8 Dobsonian telescope and i was having trouble trying to find things. I first tried to find Jupiter, i saw it with my finder but then when i tried to see it with my actual telescope it was not there. i was wondering if somebody could help me with this. Thank you.

Have you aligned the finder scope with the telescope itself? If not then your main scope won't be pointing at the object and the object will be out of view when you look through the EP on your telescope. If you can in the daytime align the telescope on a distant object with a 20mm EP or so, and then align the finder scope when you have the object in the centre of the view in your EP by moving the adjustment screws on the finder scope itself, and alter until the object is also in the crosshairs or centre of you finder scope too.

1 minute ago, Knighty2112 said:

Have you aligned the finder scope with the telescope itself? If not then you main scope won't be pointing at the object and will be out of view when you look through the EP on your telescope. If you can in the daytime align the telescope on a distant object with a 20mm EP or so, and then align the finder scope when you have the object in the centre of the view in your EP by moving the adjustment screws on the finder scope itself, and alter until the object is also in the crosshairs or centre of you finer scope too.

thank you. it's night where i live right now, i will do it in the daytime. :) i'll let you know if there is any improvement.

Hello. You can adjust the finder to the telescope at night also especially if the moon's out(big targets help). Have a little for torch available as is possible helpful. 

Have a low power magnification eyepiece in the telescope, 32mm or lower would be good. But if you only have stock eyepieces that come with the scope it will probably be a 25mm. Point the scope towards the moon, look through the 25mm or your chosen eyepiece and move the scope until you have the moon centre in the middle of the eyepiece. Then adjust your finder to point at the centre of the moon, with the cross hairs of the finder dead center with the moon. You now have your finder roughly in aligment with the scope.  If you wish to get it more accurate ,which is advisable . Find a bright star or planet that you recognise in the sky's and point the finder at it until the centre of the cross hairs on the finder are on your chosen target  .Now look through your low  magnification eyepiece in your scope and you should see it in the eyepiece but probably not centre . Re center the  star or planet in your eyepiece and then look through the finder again and adjust this to your chosen plant or star so that you see it in the finder until it is in the centre of the cross hairs.  

I hope this helps.

Hi, it is marginally easier to align the finder during the day as your targets ie distant pylons, church spires etc don't move. At night stars, planets and the moon all traverse across your field of view and also with it being dark it is a little more difficult to see what you are doing. Either way good luck with the alignment. 

Forget the finder and first find Jupiter without the finder using your lowest magnification eyepiece - maybe a 25mm. Just sight along the telescope and move in ever increasing circles and a grid until you see Jupiter in the field. Once you have it in the field, centre it and then align your finder ensuring you still have the planet centred in the eyepiece and the finder. Then use your highest magnification eyepiece and follow the same process. Unless you use tracking it will drift pretty quickly though. You might need to tweak this every time you take it off and put it back on but not by much generally. As above this process is easier with the moon. If you struggle then take out the eyepiece and it should be easier to spot Jupiter (or the moon).

Archived