SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Please don't shoot the messenger.

I was looking to buy a long FL imaging scope for galaxy season, and the 8" Edge + reducer was on my wish list list. However the new price combo goes into half decent refractor territory, which is where i think i'll put my money.

pc387

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 hours ago, FLO said:

I have not been at my desk this week because my wife and I are moving home but I can see Celestron increased their prices last week and my colleagues applied the increases yesterday. We haven't applied the full increase, we are currently absorbing some of it.

Looking at our competitor's websites they appear to have done the same or are doing so. We shall wait a few days then will compare our prices and adjust them where necessary to ensure we are competitive. 

Sky-Watcher's UK distributor rarely gives prior notice of price changes but they do tend to release a new price list shortly after Celestron, and vice-versa. 

I will be back at my desk sometime tomorrow and all day Friday so will make enquiries then. 

HTH, 

Steve 

Thanks, Steve.  Good luck with the house move! :) 

12 hours ago, FLO said:

I will be back at my desk sometime tomorrow and all day Friday so will make enquiries then. 

It appears most retailers have updated their websites to reflect the new prices but there are still some that haven't so it's looking a bit messy out there.

FLO's prices are set at what we believe are fair and reasonable but we will price-check our competitors Wednesday 21st then adjust ours where necessary to ensure we are competitive.

In the meantime we will price-match where possible so please do contact us. 

It doesn't make sense us price-checking this week because some astro retailers take longer than us to update their websites and photo retailers are always slow to notice change at this time of year (their astronomy sales usually happen around Christmas so they are now focused on other things). 

As for why Celestron prices have risen, I don't know. As far as I can tell there isn't a single specific reason, at least not one Celestron has shared with us. But I do think it worth noting it isn't a UK-only increase. Celestron prices are also rising in the US and other EU countries. And UK Celestron prices have been lower than other EU countries for some time. 

I will ask Sky-Watcher's UK distributor if they are planning price increases... 

HTH, 

Steve

On 14/03/2018 at 11:29, FLO said:

I will ask Sky-Watcher's UK distributor if they are planning price increases... 

I did ask. They reminded me they don't discuss their plans regarding pricing. Sorry. 

On 14/03/2018 at 11:29, FLO said:

FLO's prices are set at what we believe are fair and reasonable but we will price-check our competitors Wednesday 21st then adjust ours where necessary to ensure we are competitive.

Celestron retail prices are still all over the place so we will wait a little longer. On Friday we will compare prices then adjust ours where necessary to ensure we are competitive. 

We are of course happy to price-match wherever possible so please do contact us. 

HTH, 

Steve 

20 hours ago, FLO said:

I did ask. They reminded me they don't discuss their plans regarding pricing. Sorry. 

No problem, thanks for asking. 

I decided to go a head and place an order with FLO last week as I've been hit by surprise price increases in the past and I didn't want to risk it this time.  Knowing my luck there'll be a price decrease soon! :smile:

On 21/03/2018 at 14:12, FLO said:

Celestron retail prices are still all over the place so we will wait a little longer. On Friday we will compare prices then adjust ours where necessary to ensure we are competitive. 

Done ?

Our prices have been set to match whichever competitor was the lowest. We will continue to check and adjust prices weekly but if you find something we have missed please do contact us. 

HTH, 

Steve 

Archived