Narrowband

Please don't shoot the messenger.

Just noticed that Skywatcher prices have gone up, when did that happen? I've been saving up for an EQEZ6 and am subscribed to this thread hoping I'd get some notice before the price went up! I'll have to save a bit longer now.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, bobmoss said:

Just noticed that Skywatcher prices have gone up, when did that happen? I've been saving up for an EQEZ6 and am subscribed to this thread hoping I'd get some notice before the price went up! I'll have to save a bit longer now.

It happened a few days ago, unfortunately we weren't able to post a headsup. Sorry :blush: 

Celestron will almost certainly be next (probably around the end of this month or early-next) and we will be able to post details and a headsup. Promise :icon_salut:

HTH, 

Steve 

PS: Our inventory system enables us to apply price adjustments as they happen whereas many of our competitors apply them manually over several days so we have set our prices at what we think are sensible (lower than SRP) but will price-check the other astro dealers later this week then will adjust our prices where necessary to ensure we remain competitive. This will probably result in some reductions... 

HTH, 

Steve 

Thanks Steve, I'll keep on eye on the price of the AZ EQ6-GT this week then...

Adm prices won't be going up this week will they? I need a dual saddle with puck for the mount and a 10" Meade Losmandy dovetail.

1 hour ago, bobmoss said:

Thanks Steve, I'll keep on eye on the price of the AZ EQ6-GT this week then...

Adm prices won't be going up this week will they? I need a dual saddle with puck for the mount and a 10" Meade Losmandy dovetail.

We don't anticipate an increase in ADM prices but we will post a headsup here if that changes. 

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

What sort of rise are we seeing... I am toying with a bit of celestron kit at the moment.

Peter

Celestron-UK haven't released details but they have assured us they will give us a few days notice so we can post a headsup here :smile:

My best guess is 6-12% increases. 

HTH, 

Steve 

On 23/10/2016 at 17:34, FLO said:

PS: Our inventory system enables us to apply price adjustments as they happen whereas many of our competitors apply them manually over several days so we have set our prices at what we think are sensible (lower than SRP) but will price-check the other astro dealers later this week then will adjust our prices where necessary to ensure we remain competitive. This will probably result in some reductions... 

HTH, 

Steve 

Do you think there's likely to be a reduction on the AZ EQ6-GT? I'm eager to buy one but have noticed a few retailers are doing them around the £1365 mark, and I know price isn't everything but that's quite a difference!

1 hour ago, bobmoss said:

Do you think there's likely to be a reduction on the AZ EQ6-GT? I'm eager to buy one but have noticed a few retailers are doing them around the £1365 mark, and I know price isn't everything but that's quite a difference!

I know what you mean Bob, prices of Skywatcher products are all over the place. Most established retailers, ourselves included, have applied the increases but some astro-retailers are one-man bands trading from a spare room in their home (Google Street View is a fun tool...) or are part-time retailers with a second business that draws on their time and attention. Perhaps they have not noticed there has been an increase (unlikely, but possible) or are aware but are late updating their websites. It is difficult for a retailer like us us to know what to do in this situation. We could wait for them to catch up, or lower our prices to match theirs until they do. If we do the former we will lose sales, if we do the latter they will probably blame us (the UK's largest astro retailer) for the situation when their company fails, and when that happens guess which company their customers will turn to for after-sales advice and support for warranty repairs... 

Bob, please email us your requirements because I think the best solution might be for us to operate a price-match policy until things settle. 

HTH, 

Steve 

14 minutes ago, Skyline said:

Sorry to go off the record Steve, when are your 130PDS's back in stock ?

The Explore 130pDS became available again last week, we are expecting a delivery this week B) 

Regarding Skywatcher prices, I think most astro retailers, possibly all of them, have now caught up with the changes. 

HTH

On 23/10/2016 at 21:21, FLO said:

Celestron-UK haven't released details but they have assured us they will give us a few days notice so we can post a headsup here :smile:

My best guess is 6-12% increases. 

We have received a revised price-list from Celestron that includes price increases of approx 10-14% on a number of their high value products. 

The new prices come into affect midnight Friday 11th Nov (three days). 

If you are planning to buy a Celestron CGX, CGEM-II, CPC or Advanced VX series mount/telescope we recommend you place your order before the weekend. Also the CPC Deluxe 800 HD and Celestron NexStar Evolution 8 EdgeHD with StarSense, they too will increase in price. 

If you have already placed a pre-order deposit on a Celestron CGX mount or mount and telescope (or place a deposit before the weekend) the price rise will not affect you - we will absorb the increase :smile: 

Also, the Celestron NexStar Evolution 8 EdgeHD with StarSense, if you pre-order one before the weekend you will pay only the pre-increase price, regardless of when the telescope arrives.  

HTH, 

Steve 

45 minutes ago, Philter said:

Hi Steve. I noticed the Evolutions aren't included in the Celestron list, are they likely to be going up at a later date?

The regular Evolutions are not going up (as far as we can tell) but while searching for them I see the new Celestron NexStar Evolution 8 EdgeHD with StarSense has, it's price will increase nearly £300! 

If you have already placed a pre-order deposit (or place a deposit before the weekend) on a Celestron NexStar Evolution 8 EdgeHD with StarSense we will absorb the price increase. You will not pay more than total £2,350. 

(I have edited my earlier post). 

HTH, 

Steve 

• 4 months later...

We have received our 2017 trade price list from Celestron today which contains a number of price increases - approximately 3-15% depending on the product type. This is the first price change on most of Celestron's products since prior to the Brexit vote and at first glance, it doesn't look as severe as we had perhaps feared.

The new pricing is effective from Midnight Tuesday so we will be updating our website tomorrow night. If you are planning on any Celestron purchases please get them into us as soon as possible, we will not be able to hold pricing past Tuesday.

HTH,

FLO

• 11 months later...

I noticed that Celestron have increased their prices recently and it was mentioned earlier in the thread that Sky-Watcher tend to follow not long after (or vice versa).  Is it likely that there's going to be Sky-Watcher price changes soon?

20 minutes ago, Philter said:

I noticed that Celestron have increased their prices recently and it was mentioned earlier in the thread that Sky-Watcher tend to follow not long after (or vice versa).  Is it likely that there's going to be Sky-Watcher price changes soon?

Celestron & Sky-Watcher are both owned by Synta.

1 hour ago, Philter said:

I would be interested to know this too, currently saving hard for a large Esprit.

10 hours ago, Philter said:

I have not been at my desk this week because my wife and I are moving home but I can see Celestron increased their prices last week and my colleagues applied the increases yesterday. We haven't applied the full increase, we are currently absorbing some of it.

Looking at our competitor's websites they appear to have done the same or are doing so. We shall wait a few days then will compare our prices and adjust them where necessary to ensure we are competitive. 

Sky-Watcher's UK distributor rarely gives prior notice of price changes but they do tend to release a new price list shortly after Celestron, and vice-versa. 

I will be back at my desk sometime tomorrow and all day Friday so will make enquiries then. 

HTH, 

Steve 

7 hours ago, FLO said:

I have not been at my desk this week because my wife and I are moving home but I can see Celestron increased their prices last week and my colleagues applied the increases yesterday. We haven't applied the full increase, we are currently absorbing some of it.

Looking at our competitor's websites they appear to have done the same or are doing so. We shall wait a few days then will compare our prices and adjust them where necessary to ensure we are competitive. 

Sky-Watcher's UK distributor rarely gives prior notice of price changes but they do tend to release a new price list shortly after Celestron, and vice-versa. 

I will be back at my desk sometime tomorrow and all day Friday so will make enquiries then. 

HTH, 

Steve 

Good luck with the move, Steve, and thanks for not applying the full increase. There was a thread on the increase yesterday, and a number of people were a bit surprised by another big increase, I mean a CPC800 HD has gone up nearly £600 £2,800, and it's now getting on for £1,100 for a basic C8. 

Any idea way another large increase, Steve?

Archived