:)

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, SilverAstro said:

[insert fav campaigner] : "Now you're going to get it"

[insert least fav campaigner] : "Now you're going to get it"

:)

No, the next campaigner will say, THEY are not going to get it and, sotto voce, Neither are you, beacuse I am going to get it, as usual.

Olly

2 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

I like this thread. It treads carefully within the forum rules at a difficult time and I intend to tread likewise. If we British aim to congratulate ourselves on our politeness (I'm a great fan of politeness despite being an uncouth northern so-and-so:D) then we must take care - this is not rocket science - to be polite! And that's what we are doing.

Olly

I see this as more of an economics thread rather than a political one. Fine line between both right now, but we are all adults here and have abided by the CoC. FLO have simply been upfront and honest with us all about their position as a business.

16 hours ago, FLO said:

We have been giving the pricing situation a lot of thought. The £ exchange-rate has been volatile for months but the overall trend was down. Here at FLO price increases are phased in gradually, usually applied when existing stock has sold and is replenished.

HTH, 

Steve 

A very good point Steve and one the media or politics does'nt care to point out at the moment.
For anything priced in dollars the pound has been sliding since November 2007.

IMO  looking at the Cable chart it's in a massive zigzag that could bottom at around 1:1

The first part of the zigzag was from November 2007 to March 2009 when the pound went from around 2.11 to approx 1.32.
The second leg of the zigzag started in July 2014 and looks like Brexit has arrived for the third wave down, as we have just past 1.32 again.
Each leg of a zigzag can be equal, so we are may be looking at 1:1 or worse.

Sorry Olly. I dont know why i quoted you above, when we were both saying the same thing. I guess it was a knee-jerk reaction to when you said you are a northerner, and i just expected you to kick off.

Just kidding.

My mother is from up Norf also. Surprisingly well mannered for a Geordie, if i'm honest.

LOL.

I'm going to have to purchase Maxim DL and Pinpoint to run my DDM60. And guess what, they're priced in dollars. Bother (Or very naughty words to that effect).

17 minutes ago, DaveS said:

I'm going to have to purchase Maxim DL and Pinpoint to run my DDM60. And guess what, they're priced in dollars. Bother (Or very naughty words to that effect).

£1=$1.33.

About this time last year £1=$1.50.....so yeah its down. The £ is recovering against all major currencies. Can you not buy what you want from a UK based company?.

Hopefully the pound will stabilise, looking at the markets it looks like it's leveling off.

The software that runs the DDM60, Autoslew, Sequence and MLPT depend on Pinpoint to plate solve within Maxim DL for modeling and to do the non-guiding imaging magic.

Sorry this has gone OT so I'll bow out here.

1 hour ago, DaveS said:

Hopefully the pound will stabilise, looking at the markets it looks like it's leveling off.

The software that runs the DDM60, Autoslew, Sequence and MLPT depend on Pinpoint to plate solve within Maxim DL for modeling and to do the non-guiding imaging magic.

Sorry this has gone OT so I'll bow out here.

The sterling is gaining after the initial scare.  Nothing to worry about.

On 28 June 2016 at 13:27, FLO said:

I wondered if starting this thread might be a mistake :unsure:

Steve

What is, is.  Better people are made aware as to what is likely to happen than not to be aware.  Nothing worse than looking forward to getting that <whatever> once we get some darkness back only to then find that the price has jumped (e.g. you say some by 30%) and customer cannot really justify the new price.

Ian

The speculative markets are artificially inflating the US$ over here. And this is a long weekend with our 'Fourth of July Independence-Day' celebration - explosions and sales in shops.

I'd wait a few days before playing exchange-rates.

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

We have been advised prices for Baader Planetarium products will increase from 1st August. At first glance, the increases will likely be around 10-12%. 

Our thanks to Baader's UK distributor for the 10-day advanced notice :icon_salut: 

• 3 weeks later...
On 25 June 2016 at 22:15, FLO said:

First up is Vixen. To be fair to Vixen's UK distributor they have been preparing a new price-list for some time but delayed it's release until after the referendum. 

Beginning 4th July Vixen prices will rise by between 10% and 30% depending on the value of the item.

Looking at our competitors websites, Vixen prices vary considerably so we have set ours to 'Please Contact Us' until things have settled down. 

Please do contact us for a price if a Vixen product interests you. 

HTH, 

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

One more for today: 

We think a new Celestron price-list is in the pipeline, probably 2-4 weeks. 

We expect a new price-list from Sky-Watcher will be released around the same time or soon after, it usually works that way. 

Generally speaking, manufacturers and distributers prefer price-adjustments to happen ahead of the busy winter season, which begins around September. We expect (hope!) prices will be more stable thereafter. 

Steve 

Steve, sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread, but have you got any inkling as to what the increases might be on Slywatcher products? Got my eye on a couple of things so just looking for any excuse to buy sooner, rather than later! ;-)

• 1 month later...
On 21 August 2016 at 10:32, Marky1973 said:

Steve, sorry if I missed this earlier in the thread, but have you got any inkling as to what the increases might be on Slywatcher products? Got my eye on a couple of things so just looking for any excuse to buy sooner, rather than later! ;-)

Sorry Mark, I didn't notice your post until today :blush:

We predicted both Sky-Watcher and Celestron distributors would have released updated prices by now, but they haven't.  Perhaps they are waiting until after the Photokina event in Germany, or perhaps they are both waiting for the other to blink... 

We predicted both Sky-Watcher and Celestron distributors would have released updated prices by now, but they haven't.  Perhaps they are waiting until after the Photokina event in Germany, or perhaps they are both waiting for the other to blink... 

Just to know, Celestron and SW increase prices every year or may it be that they left them unchanged?

And, in case of a price increase, will you know it in advance?

Archived