SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Astrophotography catastrophy :)

Ok, so i had my first run at planetary imaging yesterday evening, which was disappointing to say the least :/

I was trying mars. The setup went smooth, and imaging went ok as well, but the seeing was very bad and especially the heat of the atmosphere was high, which blurred the images to the point that mars' image was not even a sphere (see left image).

There are , however, also other probable issues:

+ Short focal length (800mm) with an 8mm EP, resulting in only medium magnification

+ problems with focusing the blurred image

+ missing real astro darkness (24th of june)

+ days' high was around 28 deg c, although it had cooled down to 22c at imaging time...

Have you guys & girls tips on how to improve?

The resulting image  from stacking 1600 out of 3800 images was a mess, but at least spherical :(

Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-24 um 17.44.14.png

Bildschirmfoto 2016-06-24 um 17.44.14.png

As it's your early stages of planetary imaging, I would try Saturn.  Mars is not well placed this year and it's distance is now increasing.  Saturn is a little higher in the sky and being bigger you're more likely to get something rewarding.  Another problem you may find with Mars is if there's insufficient detail, there won't be much for the alignment points to lock on to when running the auto-align before stacking, causing it to end up with a mis-aligned stack which will look blurred.  

John

Archived