Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Sign in to follow this  
mexbound

Remote control scope, tracking, etc from inside

I have a Celestron CPC Deluxe HD 800 and I currently have it setup on the roof of my house. I have a card table next to it where I place my laptop and perform tracking with a lodestar X2.  Are there any links, pdfs or forums where other people discuss setting up remote control of their scope from inside their house?  I was thinking to maybe leave a laptop up by the scope on the roof and then remote connect to that laptop from my computer from within the house. I'm not sure if this is viable.  

It is very easy - set up your laptop connected to your home WiFi and enable remote desktop in Windows. You can connect to the laptop with the free Microsoft Remote Desktop program - which is available for Windows, OSX and iOS devices.

I have a NUC PC in my obsy and I only control it remotely - if you enable your firewall to let things through, you can connect to it from anywhere in the world.

i use teamviewer to dos the same as microsofts remote desktop.  charl.

I also use teamviewer to remotely control / monitor my imaging laptop from in doors.

James

I do the same outside, my laptop is next to the scope and I use teamviewer on my main desktop

Thanks for all the replies.  I use Windows, so I can use the Microsoft Remote Desktop software. For those that use "Teamviewer", is there a benefit of using Teamviewer over and above Microsoft Remote Desktop? 

4 hours ago, mexbound said:

Thanks for all the replies.  I use Windows, so I can use the Microsoft Remote Desktop software. For those that use "Teamviewer", is there a benefit of using Teamviewer over and above Microsoft Remote Desktop? 

It is not microsoft and it works every time :icon_biggrin:

once I used the remote desktop and it froze on my workstation, I went to my laptop and of course it was locked so I hit ctr-alt-del to unlock and I got something like "there is someone already logged in" ... of course it was my frozen workstation.

So I was asked if I wanted to log in but I would lose everything that was already running... upon reading this, my lips became the thinnest of line

There are ways to prevent this (I guess) but I went another way and never looked back :)

Instead of being depending on unreliable wifi connections, or programms that will have problems with the large amount of broadband data when imaging, I personally like to use a more reliable option like the Icron Ranger.
Icron offers a solution for direct connections up to 300 meters with optic cable and up to 100 meters with a simple cat5e  cable. No USB or wifi problems.

Edited by Waldemar
typos

i just use some 15m usb cables with the inbuilt range extender works fine for me just make sure you by one that is proven to work