Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Installation of Moonlite Crayford Focuser on 12" Dobsonian

Hi Everyone,

I've a 12" Skywatcher Collapsible Dobsonian and recently purchased a Moonlite Crayford Focuser for Reflectors. It came with .5" adapter & 1" adapter. Could someone please advise on which way the installation should occur. I am not sure if I need to only use the .05" or the 1" or use both. Secondly, which way should the adapters be mounted. Should they be mounted such that the 1" number appears in the top left, meaning the curved part on the top or bottom? also should the focuser be placed such that the dual knob comes on the right or left?

Any advice is greatly appreciated. If someone has a similar design please let me know!

Thank you!

Clear Skies

20160621_204502.jpg

20160621_204659.jpg

20160621_204732.jpg

20160621_204636.jpg

The focuser will only fit the adapter one way, with the draw tube going through the rounded part of the hole. The whole of that assembly should be fitted so that the dual-speed knob is pointing towards the bottom of the scope, as shown in your third picture.

I don't know which adapter is the right one but I would measure the maximum and minimum "height" of the original focuser and then install the adaptor(s) that allow the moonlight to best cover that range.

I would use both adapters. I have had these focusers fitted to a SW Explorer 250P, a SW Skyliner 200P and a SW Flextube 400P and all of them required both adapters to put give the focuser the same height/length as the focuser it was replacing.

8 hours ago, gls said:

I don't know if this'll help but here's a picture of my moonlite and adapters.

20160622_083859.jpg

Thanks for the image. Maybe me rephrasing the question would help. Should I install the spacers such that it entirely covers the hole or partially? Meaning is Image 2 or Image 4 the right way to do it.

8 hours ago, DRT said:

The focuser will only fit the adapter one way, with the draw tube going through the rounded part of the hole. The whole of that assembly should be fitted so that the dual-speed knob is pointing towards the bottom of the scope, as shown in your third picture.

Okay will have to attempt again later after I finish work. I'll post an image later for you guys to review. Thank you to all for your help.

8 minutes ago, groverro said:

Thanks for the image. Maybe me rephrasing the question would help. Should I install the spacers such that it entirely covers the hole or partially? Meaning is Image 2 or Image 4 the right way to do it.

Without taking mine to pieces, I would say number 2 so the writing (1") is the correct way round.

Archived