Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss.thumb.jpg.5b348d6a5e7f27bdcb79e9356b7fc03b.jpg

MattJenko

Some M15s at different focal lengths

Here are a couple of M15s. These are both taken with an Atik 414ex camera. First is with a 10" Newtonian (a Skywatcher 250px on an AzEQ6). It is short on Blue subs (only 5) due to June and the UK weather, the rest are all 10 or 12 2 min subs. The second is with a Skywatcher ED80. Focal lengths of 1200 and 510. Thought the comparison might be of interest. 10" version is still without a coma corrector, which has subsequently been added to my arsenal, but I am very happy with these 2 anyway.

M15-L.jpg

M15_2-L.jpg

• Like 16

They're great Matt, I honestly don't know which I prefer? Nice processing too. 

Really interesting comparison Matt, I think both images show this glob in an interesting way, the 10" showing superb detail in the core and the ED80 showing it against a beautiful starfield. Both fantastic images by the way, I really like the detail in the first one, the resolving power of that 10" is hard to beat on a glob.

• Like 1

It would be interesting to crop the ED80 image to match the Newt for comparison.

• Like 2

Thanks for the interest. I may well blow up the ED80 image for resolution comparison as Chris suggests. I also think I may down scale the 250px one and upscale the ED80 one and see what a combination one looks like. If nothing else, it will help practice processing :)

• Like 1

Superb images!  Can't decide which one is my favourite!

Quick question though... is there diffraction spikes on the bright stars in the ED80 image??

There are indeed spikes in the ED80 image. They have not been added, but seem to come from some kind of combination of the 414ex and the filters. They appear in all my ED80 images on bright stars with the 414ex and always perfectly horizontal and vertical, despite camera rotation. I haven't yet seen them in my 250px images with the exact same camera, and the only difference is that I am using ZWO filters for the 250px images, not the Baader ones in the ED80. Go figure...

12 hours ago, laudropb said:

Both are very nice, but I prefer the detail in the longer fl

Yup longer focal length image for me too - being a detail bod :)

• Like 1

Both are great, prefer the short focal length, the color in the outer stars is stunning

• Like 1

A pair of awesome images, love them both. Great colour on the stars, especially in the wider FOV image. The Glob looks superb in the longer FL image, too...Nope, can't choose, I'll take um both!

• Like 1

On 6/22/2016 at 08:35, Chris Lock said:

It would be interesting to crop the ED80 image to match the Newt for comparison.

Here it is.

I also have included a combined effort, with a scaled up version of the ED80 one to the resolution of the 25opx version and then scaled down slightly for sizing for the web via jpg.

M15.jpg

M15_ED80_core_scaled.jpg

MergedM15.jpg