Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your dual scope set ups

I thought I had posted to this topic some time ago but it seems I hadn't.  These two scopes have been imaging in tandem since last spring.  The smaller refractor is actually mounted on the underside of the rings of the larger one.  That keeps the centre of gravity of the setup very close to the DEC head of the mount improving stability and reducing differential flexure of separate rings and dovetails.  This setup gives me up to 10 mins of unguided images (for the larger refractor at 1300mm) by using APCC Pro.

spacer.png

And doing the night shift:

spacer.png

Roberto

• Like 8

• 2 months later...

I recently upgraded all my reducer/flattener to APEX ED .65x to bring each scope to F4.5 @464mm focal length each. Middle is the reference FOV, both sides are on an AZ saddle so it is easier to match the middle. This has been my main DSO scope for couple of years now and will be replacing the mount with CEM70 backordered and move the current CEM60 to my RC10. Absolutely no flexture on all scope. I use OAG for guiding. The advantage for tri-scope is to eliminate filter wheel. When moon is bright I utilize all 3 Ha filters then do more OIII during moonless nights. Focuser used are Boss II and optec lynx. All 3 main cameras, 1 mount, 1 guide camera and 3 focusers are all fed to the CEM60 cable management port to a single 16Ft USB2 cable. APT is used for imaging with synchronized multicamera and dithering. The scopes are covered and stays outside, setup time 15min from uncovering to imaging.

7699DBFB-0051-426F-A253-5DB5D657C5BC.jpeg

135019D6-8494-4945-85DC-3633DC95EB3E.jpeg

7B0B0E43-4293-4D51-8CB3-8841C9669F12.jpeg

2B37BB97-3F9B-49A1-B407-FAE302C000E0.jpeg

Edited by retret66
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, garryblueboy said:

No Stu it’s a 130 Quadruplet 

Wow, thought it looked a bit big, but having seen @Captain Magenta’s 105mm compared with @GavStar’s AP130mm the 105 looked not so much smaller. The design also fooled me into thinking it was this one...

Looking forward to hearing what it’s like to look through.

2E45754F-5EE0-4AF8-83C2-A7E22FECDF85.jpeg

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, garryblueboy said:

Yes it is 

Kool! I didn't know you could do that. I've been eyeballing the AZ100 mount lately.. I should be able to pair it with my Berlebach Planet & Orion Pier Column Ext. 😄

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rkelley8493 said:

Kool! I didn't know you could do that. I've been eyeballing the AZ100 mount lately.. I should be able to pair it with my Berlebach Planet & Orion Pier Column Ext. 😄

The AZ 100 is same fit as the AZEQ6GT and the Orion AZEQ6 so yes 👍 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Stu said:

These are my two solar scopes on my new to me TS AZ5.

What? TWO sets of binos?

Not sure what to make of that. BinobinoViewers? And that’s quite apart from any considerations of how to pronounce it: binno-viewers or bye-no-viewers.

Seriously though, from one Skytee2 addict, very nice-looking set-up.

M

Edited by Captain Magenta
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Captain Magenta said:

What? TWO sets of binos?

Not sure what to make of that. BinobinoViewers? And that’s quite apart from any considerations of how to pronounce it: binno-viewers or bye-no-viewers.

M

Indeed! Have you not noticed my avatar? 😆

I was a committed bye-no-viewer user but I think the conversation at our meet the other night has converted me to a (twin) Binno-viewer user!

• Haha 3

11 hours ago, Captain Magenta said:

What? TWO sets of binos?

M

Perfect for parents - already have eyes in the back of our heads

• Haha 3

47 minutes ago, Voyager 3 said:

Is that a Berlebach observing chair Stu ? Nice looking setup for for your 4 eyes 🤣 .

Thanks!

No, it’s a Catsperch chair I believe. I acquired it as part of the purchase of a truss Dobsonian some years ago and use it regularly. It is a little battle scarred, having been repaired after failing under my, errrr, substantial weight but is now reinforced and works well.

• Like 2

On 28/04/2021 at 21:44, rkelley8493 said:

Hello. I’m using a UNI tripod and AZ100 with an Orion extension pier. Works well but can’t quite make my mind up. 
The pier has been on and off the tripod 3 times so far. Talk about indecisive??!! 🤣🤣

John 

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...
3 hours ago, HollyHound said:

Spending a bit of time getting my main rig dual scope setup... FC-100DC and new Mewlon 180C.

Amazingly the finder must have been calibrated in the factory and is still dead on centre 👍

B68AF431-1158-438D-844D-175EE07C1A6F.jpeg

F23618F2-83AE-4DB6-A622-55F4596E4AD3.jpeg

Looks like those scopes were made for each other, Gary!

And they look seriously good on the AZ100 + Berlebach Uni 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

Looks like those scopes were made for each other, Gary!

And they look seriously good on the AZ100 + Berlebach Uni 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Thanks Jeremy. Although I’ve only had a look through the Mewlon at some distant trees and wildlife, I’m very impressed so far. Remarkably lightweight for its size and the focuser seems very smooth. 

I can see these two being used side by side a lot, when I want more than a grab and go session. The FC-100 can be used quickly and then once the Mewlon cools its additional aperture and resolution will come into play. They should complement each other very well 😃

I’m also happy that my dual More Blue dovetails (mounted either side of the rings) have given me the option to mount the FC-100 on either side (the Mewlon works better on the right side for the focuser knob) and provide a useful handle 👍

We also seem to have a run of clear nights coming up next week too 🤞

It was also nice of Takahashi to provide a free “branded” hat... although I’m using mine as a cover for the tube end instead 🤣

E63BAEB4-A65C-4E16-ABF3-FD17E6A60891.jpeg

84246573-153C-4330-9319-83CD039305AA.jpeg

Edited by HollyHound
  • Haha 1