SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Show us your dual scope set ups

On 2016-06-25 at 15:11, Jessun said:

Three OK too?

/Jesper

Even the cables are colour coordinated, BRG.

But since it's a movable (kind of) rig, how do you polar align such a beast?;-)

On 6/23/2016 at 23:52, spaceboy said:

Interesting to see a multiple scope set up for visual commanderfish. Would the ed80 not bring a similar offering to the views as the star wave 152?

Not as such.  The ED80 produces a wider field than the 152 but doesn't have the light grasp or magnification of the bigger scopes.  The widest field I get out of the 152 is 2.72 degrees using an ES 82 degree 30mm at x30 magnification.  I tend to use the ED80 with an Ethos 21mm giving 4.4 degrees at x23 magnification.  I could use the ED80 with the ES 82 30mm giving 5.1 degrees at x 16 mag, but I find the sky background is a little too bright to be enjoyable.

The ED80 is a wonderful apo wide field scope and acts as a great finder at 4.4 degrees and x23.  It doesn't have the ability to pick up faint objects or produce as much detail, which is where the 152 comes in.

There IS an overlap between the ED80 and the Antares 60mm Versascope though.  The Versascope is a RACI producing close to 7 degrees at about x9 mag.  This is a great finder scope, although it is a little confusing as it is the only scope on the rig that is RACI!!  I can do without the ED80 and just use the Versascope as a finder.  The Versascope's 60mm obviously picks up a lot less stars than the ED80, so it can't be used as a wide field scope, and obviously it's not apo sharp, so it's really just a finder under UK skies.  If I can't be bothered to mount the ED80 then I make do with the 152's 2.7 degree field.

• Like 1

On ‎29‎/‎06‎/‎2016 at 17:13, wimvb said:

But since it's a movable (kind of) rig, how do you polar align such a beast?;-)

Hi Wim, quite easily. The rig (~220kg) rolls out from inside, then I use three electric actuators to lift the rig off the wheels and level it. The actuators move at about 8mm/second so it's simple to align using a bubble level. Since the AP mounts were originally meant to be set up each night the rest is plain sailing adjusting the alt/az to nail Polaris in the polar scope using an app to pinpoint the position as seen through the reticle. Personally I welcome a bit of random misalignment from night to night as it's just as powerful as dithering. (Something that I can't currently do with three OTAs).

/Jesper

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, chiltonstar said:

To wake the thread up again after a bit of Summer holiday........... My current doubles set-up. 180 Mak with an ED80 on a SkyTee2 mount:-

Chris

mak+small.jpg

mak2small.jpg

Interesting finder arrangement on the Mak, Chris, I like it!

The RDF to arrive roughly where I want to go, and the RACI to locate exactly. I sometimes use the EDS80 instead of the RACI, but of course the image is not correct orientation, which I struggle with.

The RDF is a metal gunsight type - it stays aligned very well compared with the SW variety.

Chris

• Like 3

On 8/6/2016 at 04:32, Roy Challen said:

That's a lovely setup SkyGibbon, but tbh I'd rather have your spotless sky and gorgeous looking pool!:icon_biggrin:

Thanks. Unfortunately it is way too hot  right now to do any solar viewing. 35c at 7:00a.m. - 42-43c during the day. Usually doesn't go under 40c until 9-10 p.m.

The pool gets lot more use these days. :)

Hi All, Here is a picture of my dual solar scopes. 100mm F10 Bresser with internal ERF and PST at rear! This gives excellent views. The other scope is a Vixen 70mm F12.5. White light using a Lunt Herschel wedge.  I find this combo ideal,and all on a driven GP mount on a wheeled trolley, just open the garage door,wheel it out ,and it is ready to view.  Power via a car 12volt battery on the trolley.

image.jpg

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Tonynexevo925 said:

Here is my side by side for solar. 

Lunt LS80 and TV85 with Baader Herschel prism on skytee 2 mount.

Really interesting to compare the views through both.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Lovely looking setup Tony, bet the LS80 is pretty spectacular!

Nice to see the TV85 looking so good :) 

19 minutes ago, Stu said:

Lovely looking setup Tony, bet the LS80 is pretty spectacular!

Nice to see the TV85 looking so good :) 

The TV85 just did a tour of the Lake District - probably gets more use than any other except my bins!

The LS80 is pretty stunning - I will get some images eventually ? and post. 

• Like 2

On ‎05‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 10:10, chiltonstar said:

To wake the thread up again after a bit of Summer holiday........... My current doubles set-up. 180 Mak with an ED80 on a SkyTee2 mount:-

Chris

mak+small.jpg

I have often wondered why SW don't sell at least the larger MAK's with tube rings but it actually doesn't look that bad on an AZ mount. Do you find you have any problems with balancing or the diagonal fouling the focuser knob ??

1 hour ago, spaceboy said:

I have often wondered why SW don't sell at least the larger MAK's with tube rings but it actually doesn't look that bad on an AZ mount. Do you find you have any problems with balancing or the diagonal fouling the focuser knob ??

I think tube rings would be a good idea in the sense that things would feel 100% secure, and rotation would be useful to get the finder away from the head a bit particularly when I use the scope on my EQ mount, but would add more weight. Fouling? No problems - the 2" diagonal supplied clears the focuser  by about 10mm.

Balancing is fine on the end position of the SkyTee; if the tube is approximately balanced (which seems to work ok with my EPs and finders given the long dovetail on the Mak), then you can nudge to position like a dob almost and it holds position, thanks maybe to the SW viscous grease.

Chris

Edited by chiltonstar
  • Like 1

Here's my dual setup; C11 atop a TOA-150 on a Mesu-200. It's not pretty, though it does work and is more stable than the side-by-side configuration I tried originally.

Problem is, it's so un-pretty that I'm considering returning to a single scope setup.

Excuse the messy observatory.

Nigel

PS This was taken with a wide angle lens - the Tak isn't really bending under the strain...

IMG_2087.jpg

Edited by NigeB
  • Like 4