Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your dual scope set ups

Ours is all about speed.

Tandem-L.jpg

The two Taks are aligned using a Cassady T Gad under one and carried on a Mesu 200 which could easily handle another two... Five hours become ten hours. Or maybe, in terms if residual noise, it's better than that because the noise which calibration fails to remove is partially neutralized when combined.

Note that doubling the scopes is only the equivalent of coming down one F stop. However - and here's the key bit - these F5 refractors work. Always. Every single time. They have a workable depth of field. If you go, instead, for a single faster astrograph you have to be ready for what that entails in terms of making it work. Good luck!

Olly

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Starflyer said:

Here's a couple of mine from a few years back, I moved to OAG so no need for a guide scope now.

10inch imaging setup.jpg

80mm imaging setup.jpg

Nice scope Starflyer, I believe I now own that little orange Zenithstar66, I recognise it as I also bought the rings and unusually shaped dovetail. Its a lovely little grab and go scope which also works nicely for widefield narrowband imaging and video astronomy. It also looks very nice sitting atop my black and orange C8. :) 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, ollypenrice said:

The two Taks are aligned using a Cassady T Gad under one and carried on a Mesu 200 which could easily handle another two... Five hours become ten hours. Or maybe, in terms if residual noise, it's better than that because the noise which calibration fails to remove is partially neutralized when combined.

Note that doubling the scopes is only the equivalent of coming down one F stop. However - and here's the key bit - these F5 refractors work. Always. Every single time. They have a workable depth of field. If you go, instead, for a single faster astrograph you have to be ready for what that entails in terms of making it work. Good luck!

Olly

Interesting information about the two scopes being equivalent to one F stop, I'd never thought about about it like that. 

2 hours ago, RobertI said:

Interesting information about the two scopes being equivalent to one F stop, I'd never thought about about it like that. 

Quite surprizing, really. However, I've seen enough of very fast optics to know that they are not for me. I prefer two slower ones! I'm not asserting anything, here, other than a purely personal preference.

Olly

• Like 1

I am a great fan of multiple imaging systems and have used them to good effect in the past. Unfortunately, when using a side-by-side mounting arrangement (which I prefer) they become an issue when using a fully automated Dome observatory like mine because the mathematics for dome tracking assume that the telescope is mounted centrally! Here are some photos of dual systems I have used in the past:-

Side-by-side arrangement before dome automation

dual_2.png

Side-by-side arrangement with adjustable mounting before dome automation

dual_rig_1.png

Piggy-back arrangement with ED 80 just visible at base of image

Piggy-back_3.png

Piggy-back arrangement with ED 80

piggyback_2.png

Piggy-back arrangement with SPX250 and ED80

dome_scopes_2.png

• Like 4

I don't duel-wield often but it is fun. Not much benefit from the photos as both scopes are LZOS made triplets with only 10mm aperture between them but in this case I was running a side by side comparison.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by DirkSteele
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, Jessun said:

Three OK too?

/Jesper

11850592_10153226400329915_5649131198908797706_o.jpg

That, my dear fellow, is the definitive multiple rig. :icon_salut: Even the cables have been persuaded to curve like synchronized swimmers. The style is a tantalizing blend of the military and the surgical. I'm rarely of a religious turn of mind but I do believe I could worship that...

How do you get the scopes parallel?

Olly

• Like 3

To an acceptable degree they were initially just bolted down with an option to pan the outer ones via a central pivot bolt. I had no tilt function available and lost som 3-5% of CCD real estate.

I just recently put the outers on FLO 'heavy duty' adjustable saddle, much like the Cassiday ones.

No test under stars yet so I have no info if they can carry the load of the APMs.

/Jesper

Edited by Jessun

PS I have a 31*24" aluminium print that I think you'd be keen to see. I'll start a thread once I have things nailed down.

PPS the rig is effectively an f2.68 rig had it been a solo OTA :-)

/Jesper

Edited by Jessun
  • Like 1

We have a winner!!!!

The style is a tantalizing blend of the military and the surgical.

It certainly is a gorgeous setup, part Rapier Missile System, part astro imaging set-up - the original Rapier Missile System was guided optically by a system that included a Dove prism! I could tell you how I know this but then I'd have to .........

• Like 2

Here's mine.

VC200l carrying a short focus 80mm finder on an Altair dual bar. At the other end, a Vixen NA140SF with FLO adjustment carrier, itself carrying a Skywatcher ST70 with Quark, all mounted on an up-rated AE of  Luton class B with Skysensor control.

Mike

IMAG0180.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks Chris

I forget whether its b or C. I suspect its actually a B. The C's were the biggest and had the worm inboard on the cutout polar axis.

Only seen that on the 16" fork mount..

The worm gear is under the black strip of home made cover.

Balancing is interesting since I haven't got any clutches.

Mike

I agree - I think it is a 'B' mount. Somewhere in the house I have an AE catalog showing all their designs, I used to drool over photos of the larger models when I was a youngster - which was a long time ago now :-)

ChrisH